Wisconsin Historical Society

National or State Registers Record

413 Sixth Ave.

National or State Register of Historic Places
413 Sixth Ave. | National or State Registers Record | Wisconsin Historical Society
NAMES
Historic Name:New Glarus Public School and High School
Reference Number:98000284
PROPERTY LOCATION
Location (Address):413 Sixth Ave.
County:Green
City/Village:New Glarus
Township:
SUMMARY
New Glarus Public School and High School
413 Sixth Ave, New Glarus, Green County
Architects: Conover & Porter; Bradley & Bradley
Dates of construction 1896-1939

Located at the top of a hill on the west side of town, the New Glarus Public School and High School is an important visual and cultural landmark. The Swiss Colony (as the community was referred to) viewed education as being of prime importance. The first classes were held in 1847 in a primitive house when settlers began arriving in New Glarus. A few years later volunteers built a log building for the school, and by 1867, a new one room, 900 sq. ft. frame building was constructed.

By 1892, it was time again for another, larger building and the school board voted on South School in Monroe as a model for the present building. The first section was completed four years later by the Madison firm Conover & Porter, using the Richardsonian Romanesque Revival Style. This style typically displays extensive masonry work, steeply pitched gable roofs, rounded arches, and turrets that were to convey a sense of simplicity, massiveness and stability, all of which are apparent in the New Glarus school. Later, an addition was built to accommodate the expanding school district by housing the high school grades together in a separate wing. It was completed in 1939 by the Rockford firm, Bradley & Bradley, this time in the Art Deco style that was popular during its construction. Futuristic, stylized elements, flattened reliefs, and a strong vertical emphasis generally characterize the Art Deco style, which resulted in clean, modern looking architecture. The New Glarus Public School and High School is the only example in New Glarus of either architectural style. It is an exceptional example of the Richardsonian Romanesque Revival style that is normally only seen in larger areas because its cost was higher than the competing Victorian and Italianate styles at the turn of the century.

The New Glarus Public School and High School has been converted into a 25-unit apartment building, whose owners worked with the Wisconsin Historical Society to maintain its historic character. The building is now privately owned, please respect the privacy of its occupants.

PROPERTY FEATURES
Period of Significance:1900-19241925-19491875-1899
Area of Significance:Architecture
Applicable Criteria:Architecture/Engineering
Historic Use:Education: School
Architectural Style:Romanesque
Architectural Style:Art Deco
Resource Type:Building
Architect:Porter, Lew
Architect:Bradley and Bradley
Architect:Conover, Alan
DESIGNATIONS
Historic Status:Listed in the National Register
Historic Status:Listed in the State Register
National Register Listing Date:03/26/1998
State Register Listing Date:10/17/1997
NUMBER OF RESOURCES WITHIN PROPERTY
Number of Contributing Buildings:1
Number of Contributing Sites:0
Number of Contributing Structures:0
Number of Contributing Objects:0
Number of Non-Contributing Sites:0
Number of Non-Contributing Structures:0
Number of Non-Contributing Objects:0
RECORD LOCATION
National Register and State Register of Historic Places, Division of Historic Preservation, Wisconsin Historical Society, Madison, Wisconsin

How to Cite

For the purposes of a bibliography entry or footnote, follow this model:

National Register of Historic Places Citation
National Register of Historic Places, "Historic Name", "Town", "County", "State", "Reference Number".

Have Questions?

If you didn't find the National Register listing you were looking for or have other questions about the National Register, please email us and we can help: