Wisconsin Historical Society

National or State Registers Record

E. Fourth Ave.

National or State Register of Historic Places
E. Fourth Ave. | National or State Registers Record | Wisconsin Historical Society
NAMES
Historic Name:Moon, D. R., Memorial Library
Reference Number:85003096
PROPERTY LOCATION
Location (Address):E. Fourth Ave.
County:Chippewa
City/Village:Stanley
Township:
SUMMARY
D.R. Moon Memorial Library
East Fourth Avenue, Stanley, Chippewa County
Architect: W. Channing Whitney
Date of construction: 1901

The D.R. Moon Memorial Library was built in memorial to DeLos R. Moon, an Eau Claire lumberman responsible for Stanley's development as a lumber center. He brought the Northwest Lumber Company to Stanley in the 1880s. In 1893 the Stanley, Merrill & Phillips Railroad, a subsidiary of the Northwest Lumber Company, provided employment and means for transporting large quantities of lumber from the company's camps. As settlement grew, community members showed interest in the creation of a public library. Stanley became incorporated as a city in 1898 and shortly thereafter the city council passed a resolution to establish a free public library and created a library board.

The D.R. Moon Memorial Library is a modest structure inspired by the popularity of classical styles for public buildings. W.C. Whitney, a Minneapolis architect, designed the building to compliment other public buildings in the community. The one story, T-shaped building rests on a stone basement. The projecting entrance dominates the front façade. It is distinguished by a compound round arch opening. Smooth Doric columns support the arch. These columns are echoed within the enclosure with a pair of Doric pilasters to either side of the doorway. On each side of the entrance a large rectangular window lights the interior. The composition of the exterior is unified with the denticulated entablature just under the roofline.

Another broad arch in the library's central room echoes the front entrance arch. Doric columns on pedestals distinguish the reading room from the stack areas. A large fireplace in the east wing creates a warm, domestic feeling. Its surround exhibits Doric colonettes, frieze and cornice that complement the overall classical design. A bronze plaque above the fireplace commemorates the Moon family¿s donation of the library.

The library is still in operation and is open during regular hours.

PROPERTY FEATURES
Period of Significance:1900-1924
Area of Significance:Architecture
Area of Significance:Social History
Applicable Criteria:Event
Applicable Criteria:Architecture/Engineering
Historic Use:Education: Library
Architectural Style:Classical Revival
Resource Type:Building
Architect:Whitney,W. Channing
DESIGNATIONS
Historic Status:Listed in the National Register
Historic Status:Listed in the State Register
National Register Listing Date:12/02/1985
State Register Listing Date:01/01/1989
NUMBER OF RESOURCES WITHIN PROPERTY
Number of Contributing Buildings:1
Number of Contributing Sites:0
Number of Contributing Structures:0
Number of Contributing Objects:0
Number of Non-Contributing Sites:0
Number of Non-Contributing Structures:0
Number of Non-Contributing Objects:0
RECORD LOCATION
National Register and State Register of Historic Places, Division of Historic Preservation, Wisconsin Historical Society, Madison, Wisconsin

How to Cite

For the purposes of a bibliography entry or footnote, follow this model:

National Register of Historic Places Citation
National Register of Historic Places, "Historic Name", "Town", "County", "State", "Reference Number".

Have Questions?

If you didn't find the National Register listing you were looking for or have other questions about the National Register, please email us and we can help: