Wisconsin Historical Society

National or State Registers Record

228 N. High St.

National or State Register of Historic Places
228 N. High St. | National or State Registers Record | Wisconsin Historical Society
NAMES
Historic Name:Hutchinson Memorial Library
Reference Number:90001705
PROPERTY LOCATION
Location (Address):228 N. High St.
County:Dodge
City/Village:Randolph
Township:
SUMMARY
Hutchison Memorial Library
228 North High Street, Randolph, Dodge County
Architect: Clas & Clas, Inc.
Date of Construction: 1936

Randolph is a small agricultural community that actively promoted a circulating library since 1872. Members of the public library association appealed to the Library Commission in Madison for assistance in 1906. They also consolidated their collection with the neighboring village of Randolph Center. Their desire to provide educational opportunities to the general public was furthered in 1935when the Village of Randolph was named the chief beneficiary in the estate of Mary L. Morris. They received funds and land for the construction of the Hutchinson Memorial Library.

The building was designed by the Milwaukee firm Clas & Clas, recognized for their design of civic, commercial and institutional buildings. They constructed the new building in Classical Moderne style. This style was a manifestation of the strong influence exerted on Neoclassicism by the rise of modernism during the 1920s and 1930s. It was an architectural compromise, mixing classical proportions with modern materials to create a clean, smooth appearance.

The greatly simplified classical details include fluted pilasters at the entrance, an entablature inscribed ┬┐Hutchinson Memorial Library┬┐ topped by a cornice drip cap, and stone dentils along the roofline. There are two windows on each side of the entrance. Under each window is a large, square panel, separated by slightly raised vertical piers. Each pier is ornamented with a small metal square mimicking the traditional columns and capitals of classical architecture. The interior follows the typical plan of a public library. There is a central circulation desk in the reading room with an office directly behind. There is also a small room that was originally designed as a museum but is now used as the periodical room.

The library is still in operation today and is open during regular hours.

PROPERTY FEATURES
Period of Significance:1925-1949
Area of Significance:Architecture
Area of Significance:Education
Applicable Criteria:Architecture/Engineering
Applicable Criteria:Event
Historic Use:Education: Library
Architectural Style:Moderne
Resource Type:Building
Architect:Clas & Clas,Inc.
DESIGNATIONS
Historic Status:Listed in the National Register
National Register Listing Date:11/15/1990
NUMBER OF RESOURCES WITHIN PROPERTY
Number of Contributing Buildings:1
Number of Contributing Sites:0
Number of Contributing Structures:0
Number of Contributing Objects:0
Number of Non-Contributing Sites:0
Number of Non-Contributing Structures:0
Number of Non-Contributing Objects:0
RECORD LOCATION
National Register and State Register of Historic Places, Division of Historic Preservation, Wisconsin Historical Society, Madison, Wisconsin

How to Cite

For the purposes of a bibliography entry or footnote, follow this model:

National Register of Historic Places Citation
National Register of Historic Places, "Historic Name", "Town", "County", "State", "Reference Number".

Have Questions?

If you didn't find the National Register listing you were looking for or have other questions about the National Register, please email us and we can help: