Wisconsin Historical Society

National or State Registers Record

315 W. 2nd Ave.

National or State Register of Historic Places
315 W. 2nd Ave. | National or State Registers Record | Wisconsin Historical Society
NAMES
Historic Name:Durand Free Library
Reference Number:80000173
PROPERTY LOCATION
Location (Address):315 W. 2nd Ave.
County:Pepin
City/Village:Durand
Township:
SUMMARY
Durand Free Library
315 Second Avenue West, Durand, Pepin County
Architect: Claude & Starck
Date of Construction: 1907

The Durand Library Association established a local library in 1886. Located above the Huntington Feed Store, it remained there until 1898 when it moved to Hutchinson Drugstore. Two years later the city assumed financial responsibility and moved the collection to Durand State Bank where it became known as the Durand Free Library. The city acquired a Carnegie grant in 1906 and construction on a new library building began the next year.

The Madison firm of Claude & Starck, noted for their many Carnegie libraries throughout Wisconsin, provided the design. Known for their Prairie and Neoclassical designs; Claude & Starck chose a less common Tudor design for the Durand Free Library. The building is constructed of locally quarried rusticated ashlar limestone topped by red brick. Prominent Tudor features include the flattened arch framing the entrance, brackets and bargeboards, and decoratively cut rafters that extend beneath the low roof eaves. The steeply pitched roof is clad in French red clay tiles. Two windows break through the eaves requiring gabled dormers.

The interior has a typical Carnegie library plan with a central circulation desk and wall stacks. The fireplace in the reference alcove contains a plaster replication of the Chariot Races found in the ruins of Herculaneum, Italy. A fig leaf was added to the nude male figure to calm public controversy. The lower floor consists of several community rooms.

The building is now used as private offices. Please respect the privacy of the owners.

PROPERTY FEATURES
Period of Significance:1900-1924
Area of Significance:Architecture
Applicable Criteria:Architecture/Engineering
Historic Use:Education: Library
Architectural Style:Other
Architectural Style:Late Gothic Revival
Resource Type:Building
Architect:Lister,William
Architect:Claude & Starck
DESIGNATIONS
Historic Status:Listed in the National Register
Historic Status:Listed in the State Register
National Register Listing Date:02/20/1980
State Register Listing Date:01/01/1989
NUMBER OF RESOURCES WITHIN PROPERTY
Number of Contributing Buildings:1
Number of Contributing Sites:0
Number of Contributing Structures:0
Number of Contributing Objects:0
Number of Non-Contributing Sites:0
Number of Non-Contributing Structures:0
Number of Non-Contributing Objects:0
RECORD LOCATION
National Register and State Register of Historic Places, Division of Historic Preservation, Wisconsin Historical Society, Madison, Wisconsin

How to Cite

For the purposes of a bibliography entry or footnote, follow this model:

National Register of Historic Places Citation
National Register of Historic Places, "Historic Name", "Town", "County", "State", "Reference Number".

Have Questions?

If you didn't find the National Register listing you were looking for or have other questions about the National Register, please email us and we can help: