Wisconsin Historical Society

National or State Registers Record

Jct. of WI Trunk Hwy. 60 and Co. Trunk Hwy. X

National or State Register of Historic Places
Jct. of WI Trunk Hwy. 60 and Co. Trunk Hwy. X | National or State Registers Record | Wisconsin Historical Society
NAMES
Historic Name:Coumbe, John, Farmstead
Reference Number:92000827
PROPERTY LOCATION
Location (Address):Jct. of WI Trunk Hwy. 60 and Co. Trunk Hwy. X
County:Richland
City/Village:
Township:Richwood
SUMMARY
John and Sara Coumbe Farmstead
Junction STH 60 and CTH X, Town of Richwood, Richland County
Carpenter: Henry Leffler
Dates of contributing buildings: 1861-1888

John Coumbe, a native of England, was the first Euro-American settler in Richland County. After first settling with his family in Ohio, Coumbe arrived in 1838 and built a small, log cabin. Coumbe named his farm "Tippesaukee" after the Ho-Chunk village he found on the site. Having established himself as a successful farmer, in 1849 Coumbe married Sarah Ann Palmer.

In 1863 Coumbe constructed the present gabled-ell form farmhouse. The wood frame house rests on a foundation built of stones collected in the nearby fields. The narrow clapboard siding was sawn at a nearby mill from basswood trees that grew on the farm. The interior is finished with white ash floorboards and black walnut trim and doors.

With minor exceptions, the exceptionally intact interior retains much of the original floorplan and finishes. Wallpaper, drapery and carpeting dating to the 1880s adorn the interior.

Also located on the property are a three-seat privy and smokehouse, dating to 1863, an 1861 timber-framed barn, and an early corncrib. Other buildings on the property are of mid-twentieth century construction and reflect the farmstead's continued use.

Coumbe died in 1882. His wife, Sarah, and children continued running of the farm. It remains in the Coumbe family to this day.

The farm is private property and is not open to the public. Please respect the privacy of the owners.

PROPERTY FEATURES
Period of Significance:1875-18991850-1874
Area of Significance:Architecture
Applicable Criteria:Architecture/Engineering
Historic Use:Domestic: Single Dwelling
Historic Use:Domestic: Secondary Structure
Historic Use:Agriculture/Subsistence: Agricultural Outbuildings
Architectural Style:Greek Revival
Resource Type:Building
Architect:Leffler, Henry
DESIGNATIONS
Historic Status:Listed in the National Register
Historic Status:Listed in the State Register
National Register Listing Date:06/25/1992
State Register Listing Date:08/04/1995
NUMBER OF RESOURCES WITHIN PROPERTY
Number of Contributing Buildings:5
Number of Contributing Sites:0
Number of Contributing Structures:0
Number of Contributing Objects:0
Number of Non-Contributing Sites:0
Number of Non-Contributing Structures:0
Number of Non-Contributing Objects:0
RECORD LOCATION
National Register and State Register of Historic Places, Division of Historic Preservation, Wisconsin Historical Society, Madison, Wisconsin

How to Cite

For the purposes of a bibliography entry or footnote, follow this model:

National Register of Historic Places Citation
National Register of Historic Places, "Historic Name", "Town", "County", "State", "Reference Number".

Have Questions?

If you didn't find the National Register listing you were looking for or have other questions about the National Register, please email us and we can help: