Wisconsin Historical Society

National or State Registers Record

125 S. Jefferson St.

National or State Register of Historic Places
125 S. Jefferson St. | National or State Registers Record | Wisconsin Historical Society
NAMES
Historic Name:Kellogg Public Library and Neville Public Museum
Reference Number:81000035
PROPERTY LOCATION
Location (Address):125 S. Jefferson St.
County:Brown
City/Village:Green Bay
Township:
SUMMARY
Kellogg Public Library & Neville Public Museum
125 South Jefferson Street, Green Bay, Brown County
Architect: Henry A. Foeller/ Marvin F. Stephenson
Date of Construction: 1903 & 1913 addition/ 1926

In 1883 Rufus B. Kellogg, president of the Kellogg National Bank in Green Bay, raised the idea of establishing a library. His idea was dismissed until 1887 when proceeds were donated to a library fund from Arthur C. Neville¿s ¿Evenings in Italy¿ series. The next year the City of Green Bay issued municipal bonds that were purchased by Kellogg. He gave them back to the city on the condition that Green Bay appropriate funding for library services for 50 years. Additional funds came from the Carnegie Foundation and a lot was donated by Bishop Sebastian G. Messmer.

Henry A. Foeller, Green Bay¿s foremost architect, designed the library building. The small scale NeoClassical form was formal and elegant, designed to be stylistically consistent with the public buildings surrounding it. An Ionic portico dominates the front façade. Details borrowed from ancient Greek architecture, such as the plain pediment with an antefix, an entablature and a plain frieze under the cornice, comprise the temple front. A similar façade faces the courtyard. The interior is illuminated with natural light. A skylight is located above the central circulation desk and the reading room occupies the sunniest corner of the building. A lecture room and other amenities are located in the lower level.

In 1926 an east wing was added in conjunction with the establishment of Neville Public Museum. The addition was designed by Marvin S. Stephenson a partner at Henry Foeller¿s firm, Foeller, Schober & Stephenson. The addition was intended to reflect the original style of the building.

In 1974 a new library was built for the city leaving the Kellogg Public Library vacant. It was subsequently rehabilitated into commercial offices and is now known as Jefferson Square. It is privately owned, please respect the privacy of its occupants.

PROPERTY FEATURES
Period of Significance:1925-19491900-1924
Area of Significance:Architecture
Area of Significance:Social History
Applicable Criteria:Event
Applicable Criteria:Architecture/Engineering
Historic Use:Recreation And Culture: Museum
Historic Use:Education: Library
Architectural Style:Classical Revival
Resource Type:Building
Architect:Foeller,Henry A.
Architect:Stephenson,Marvin F.
DESIGNATIONS
Historic Status:Listed in the National Register
Historic Status:Listed in the State Register
National Register Listing Date:06/09/1981
State Register Listing Date:01/01/1989
NUMBER OF RESOURCES WITHIN PROPERTY
Number of Contributing Buildings:1
Number of Contributing Sites:0
Number of Contributing Structures:0
Number of Contributing Objects:0
Number of Non-Contributing Sites:0
Number of Non-Contributing Structures:0
Number of Non-Contributing Objects:0
RECORD LOCATION
National Register and State Register of Historic Places, Division of Historic Preservation, Wisconsin Historical Society, Madison, Wisconsin

How to Cite

For the purposes of a bibliography entry or footnote, follow this model:

National Register of Historic Places Citation
National Register of Historic Places, "Historic Name", "Town", "County", "State", "Reference Number".

Have Questions?

If you didn't find the National Register listing you were looking for or have other questions about the National Register, please email us and we can help: