Wisconsin Historical Society

National or State Registers Record

2392 County Trunk Highway F

National or State Register of Historic Places
2392 County Trunk Highway F | National or State Registers Record | Wisconsin Historical Society
NAMES
Historic Name:Bailey's Harbor Town Hall / Mc Ardle Library
Reference Number:00000408
PROPERTY LOCATION
Location (Address):2392 County Trunk Highway F
County:Door
City/Village:
Township:Baileys Harbor
SUMMARY
Baileys Harbor Town Hall and McArdle Library
2392 County Trunk Highway F, Baileys Harbor, Door County
Architect: Sylvester J. Schmitt
Date of Construction: 1937-38/1995

The Baileys Harbor Town Hall and McArdle Library reflects both the growth of local government services and the proliferation of libraries in small towns in the early 20th century. The multi-use building is the largest public building in the community, housing town offices, the public library and a large auditorium space used for entertainment, athletics, family functions, and various summer activities. Living quarters were also provided in the upper story for the building's caretaker.

Despite the lingering economic depression, local initiatives successfully funded construction of the town hall and library. Michael W. McArdle, a successful Chicago industrialist, originally from Baileys Harbor, gave a large donation to the project. The remainder of funding came from the federal WPA work relief program.

Sylvester J. Schmitt, an architect from Two Rivers, Wisconsin, received the commission to design the structure. WPA funded architects commonly used the Colonial Revival design, due to its symbolic expression of nationalism, providing an image of security and stability during a tumultuous time. McArdle insisted on the locally quarried limestone exterior, but coincidentally reflected the WPA's emphasis on local labor-intensive construction materials. The building's colonial embellishments include a stepped parapet with stone coping and an octagonal tower with louvered openings, and a conical roof topped with a weathervane. Other accents include a denticulated cornice, flat arches with a central keystone and oculus windows. On each end of the fa├žade, separate entrances demarcate the library and the town hall functions. A 1995 addition was made to expand library space, designed to blend with the original structure.

The town hall/library is still in operation and is open during regular hours.

PROPERTY FEATURES
Period of Significance:1937-1938
Area of Significance:Architecture
Area of Significance:Education
Area of Significance:Politics/Government
Applicable Criteria:Event
Applicable Criteria:Architecture/Engineering
Historic Use:Government: City Hall
Historic Use:Education: Library
Architectural Style:Colonial Revival
Resource Type:Building
Architect:Schmitt, Sylvester J.
DESIGNATIONS
Historic Status:Listed in the National Register
Historic Status:Listed in the State Register
National Register Listing Date:4/21/2000 12:00:00 AM
State Register Listing Date:10/22/1999 12:00:00 AM
NUMBER OF RESOURCES WITHIN PROPERTY
Number of Contributing Buildings:1
Number of Contributing Sites:0
Number of Contributing Structures:0
Number of Contributing Objects:0
Number of Non-Contributing Sites:0
Number of Non-Contributing Structures:0
Number of Non-Contributing Objects:3
RECORD LOCATION
National Register and State Register of Historic Places, Division of Historic Preservation, Wisconsin Historical Society, Madison, Wisconsin

How to Cite

For the purposes of a bibliography entry or footnote, follow this model:

National Register of Historic Places Citation
National Register of Historic Places, "Historic Name", "Town", "County", "State", "Reference Number".

Have Questions?

If you didn't find the National Register listing you were looking for or have other questions about the National Register, please email us and we can help: