Wisconsin Historical Society

National or State Registers Record

Roughly bounded by Regent, Allen, Lathrop Sts., and Kendall Ave. (both sides)

National or State Register of Historic Places
Roughly bounded by Regent, Allen, Lathrop Sts., and Kendall Ave. (both sides) | National or State Registers Record | Wisconsin Historical Society
NAMES
Historic Name:University Heights Historic District
Reference Number:82001844
PROPERTY LOCATION
Location (Address):Roughly bounded by Regent, Allen, Lathrop Sts., and Kendall Ave. (both sides)
County:Dane
City/Village:Madison
Township:
SUMMARY
University Heights Historic District
Madison, Dane County
Dates of contributing buildings: 1894-1965

In 1893 former Madison mayor and prominent lawyer, Breese J. Stevens, sold a 106 acre parcel to the University Heights Company for $53,000. The principal officers of the Company were William T. Fish, a prominent contractor and pioneering Madison suburb developer, and Burr W. Jones, a noted attorney. The plat was given a topographically influenced, curvilinear plan. Streets named after past University presidents were intended to appeal to faculty of the nearby University of Wisconsin campus.

Construction on this hilltop neighborhood began in 1894. Large, impressive homes were clustered just below the summit, while smaller houses were built in the north portion of the development. The earliest houses in the neighborhood are examples of the Shingle and the Queen Anne styles. Later homes exhibited Period Revival, Craftsman and Prairie designs. As one of Madison's leading neighborhoods, it features many architecturally important residences including Louis Sullivan's Bradley House, Frank Lloyd Wright's Gilmore House, George Fred Keck's Morehouse House, and many homes by leading Madison architects like Claude and Stark, Alvin Small, and Law, Law and Potter.

The neighborhood housed many of the city's intellectual elite, including numerous University faculty who achieved recognition for their academic and scientific studies. Also located in the district is the home of John Olin, who was instrumental in developing Madison's park system. Upon his death, the large house was bequeathed to the university and serves as the home of the University of Wisconsin system president.

The houses in this neighborhood are private residences. Please respect the rights and privacy of the owners.

PROPERTY FEATURES
Period of Significance:1893-1965
Area of Significance:Architecture
Area of Significance:Education
Applicable Criteria:Architecture/Engineering
Applicable Criteria:Person
Historic Use:Domestic: Single Dwelling
Historic Use:Commerce/Trade: Business
Architectural Style:Late 19th And Early 20th Century American Movements
Architectural Style:Modern Movement
Architectural Style:Late 19th And 20th Century Revivals
Resource Type:District
Architect:Multiple
DESIGNATIONS
Historic Status:Listed in the National Register
Historic Status:Listed in the State Register
National Register Listing Date:12/17/1982 12:00:00 AM
State Register Listing Date:1/1/1989 12:00:00 AM
NUMBER OF RESOURCES WITHIN PROPERTY
Number of Contributing Buildings:397
Number of Contributing Sites:0
Number of Contributing Structures:0
Number of Contributing Objects:0
Number of Non-Contributing Sites:0
Number of Non-Contributing Structures:0
Number of Non-Contributing Objects:0
RECORD LOCATION
National Register and State Register of Historic Places, Division of Historic Preservation, Wisconsin Historical Society, Madison, Wisconsin

How to Cite

For the purposes of a bibliography entry or footnote, follow this model:

National Register of Historic Places Citation
National Register of Historic Places, "Historic Name", "Town", "County", "State", "Reference Number".

Have Questions?

If you didn't find the National Register listing you were looking for or have other questions about the National Register, please email us and we can help: