Wisconsin Historical Society

National or State Registers Record

130 East Division Street

National or State Register of Historic Places
130 East Division Street | National or State Registers Record | Wisconsin Historical Society
NAMES
Historic Name:Stebbins, Edward N. and Mary T., House
Reference Number:06000945
PROPERTY LOCATION
Location (Address):130 East Division Street
County:Barron
City/Village:Barron
Township:
SUMMARY
Stebbins, Edward N. and Mary T. (Clapp), House
130 East Division Street, Barron, Barron County
Dates of construction: 1897-1908

The Stebbins House is situated at the northwestern edge of Barron's central business district. It is an early example of the Georgian Revival style in Wisconsin. Edward and Mary Stebbins spent much of their lives on the East Coast, living in New York, Washington, DC, Connecticut, New Jersey, and Pennsylvania. As a result, they would have been familiar with the region's architectural past and with newly emerging trends. They arrived in Barron in 1891, where Edward Stebbins established a wood products factory.

The house was completed in 1897. Edward Stebbins died in 1903 and, in 1907, his widow sold the house to John and Lillian Bowen. Around 1908, the Bowens remodeled the porch. At that time either the original porch was extended or was replaced with the existing porch.

The gambrel roofed house rests on a sandstone foundation and is finished with clapboards. Its most dramatic feature is the central entrance pavilion. At its base, broad sidelights with diamond-paned glass flank the centrally placed door. The entrance is accented with a flat-roofed portico, displaying tripled columns, a broad entablature embellished with a cornice, and a balustrade enriched with urns set on paneled posts. Above, the pavilion contains three windows with a lozenge pattern in the upper sashes. The pediment capping the pavilion features a fanlight, fish scale shingles, and raking cornices.

The house is currently (2006) operated as a Bed & Breakfast. Please respect the privacy of the residents.

PROPERTY FEATURES
Period of Significance:1897-1908
Area of Significance:Architecture
Applicable Criteria:Architecture/Engineering
Historic Use:Domestic: Single Dwelling
Architectural Style:Colonial Revival
Resource Type:Building
Architect:unknown
DESIGNATIONS
Historic Status:Listed in the National Register
Historic Status:Listed in the State Register
National Register Listing Date:10/18/2006
State Register Listing Date:04/28/2006
NUMBER OF RESOURCES WITHIN PROPERTY
Number of Contributing Buildings:1
Number of Contributing Sites:0
Number of Contributing Structures:0
Number of Contributing Objects:0
Number of Non-Contributing Sites:0
Number of Non-Contributing Structures:0
Number of Non-Contributing Objects:0
RECORD LOCATION
National Register and State Register of Historic Places, Division of Historic Preservation, Wisconsin Historical Society, Madison, Wisconsin

How to Cite

For the purposes of a bibliography entry or footnote, follow this model:

National Register of Historic Places Citation
National Register of Historic Places, "Historic Name", "Town", "County", "State", "Reference Number".

Have Questions?

If you didn't find the National Register listing you were looking for or have other questions about the National Register, please email us and we can help: