Wisconsin Historical Society

National or State Registers Record

504 E Decker

National or State Register of Historic Places
504 E Decker | National or State Registers Record | Wisconsin Historical Society
NAMES
Historic Name:Bekkedal Leaf Tobacco Warehouse
Reference Number:03001167
PROPERTY LOCATION
Location (Address):504 E Decker
County:Vernon
City/Village:Viroqua
Township:
SUMMARY
BEKKEDAL TOBACCO WAREHOUSE
504 East Decker Avenue
Viroqua, Vernon County
Date of Construction: 1906
Architect: Parkinson & Dockendorff

Yankee farmers from the eastern states introduced tobacco farming to Wisconsin in the 1830s. Norwegian immigrants in southern Wisconsin quickly adopted tobacco and passed on their knowledge to other settlers on their way to Vernon County. Although very labor intensive, tobacco raising was lucrative and proved to be very popular with Norwegian farmers in western Wisconsin. Tobacco cultivation was particularly intense in the Coon Valley and Westby areas.

Martin H Bekkedal came to Vernon County from Norway in the 1880s and used his close contacts with fellow immigrants to become the largest tobacco wholesaler in the region by the turn of the century. The tobacco warehouse he built in Viroqua in 1906 was one of the largest and most modern in Wisconsin. The two-story tan brick warehouse was designed by the La Crosse based architectural firm of Parkinson and Dockendorff, who also designed the Temple Theatre and several other commercial buildings on Main Street in Viroqua. The solidly built tobacco warehouse displays some uncommonly stylish details including a distinctive curved parapet wall on either end. A later medallion featuring a cluster of three tobacco leaves decorates the center of each gable end.

A precipitous decline in tobacco prices in 1921 rallied area growers to form the nation's first tobacco marketing cooperative, the Northern Wisconsin Tobacco Co-op Pool, which shortly thereafter purchased this building and continues to use it as a tobacco warehouse. The pool succeeded in signing over 75% of the state's tobacco farmers and effectively ended the market domination of large buyers like Bekkedal. Their pioneering success encouraged the development of other large agricultural cooperatives, especially in the dairy industry.

The Bekkedal Tobacco Warehouse is privately-owned, please respect the privacy of its owners.

PROPERTY FEATURES
Period of Significance:1906-1952
Area of Significance:Architecture
Area of Significance:Industry
Applicable Criteria:Event
Applicable Criteria:Architecture/Engineering
Historic Use:Commerce/Trade: Warehouse
Architectural Style:Late Victorian
Resource Type:Building
Architect:Parkinson & Dockendorff
DESIGNATIONS
Historic Status:Listed in the National Register
Historic Status:Listed in the State Register
National Register Listing Date:11/14/2003
State Register Listing Date:07/18/2003
NUMBER OF RESOURCES WITHIN PROPERTY
Number of Contributing Buildings:2
Number of Contributing Sites:0
Number of Contributing Structures:0
Number of Contributing Objects:0
Number of Non-Contributing Sites:0
Number of Non-Contributing Structures:0
Number of Non-Contributing Objects:0
RECORD LOCATION
National Register and State Register of Historic Places, Division of Historic Preservation, Wisconsin Historical Society, Madison, Wisconsin

How to Cite

For the purposes of a bibliography entry or footnote, follow this model:

National Register of Historic Places Citation
National Register of Historic Places, "Historic Name", "Town", "County", "State", "Reference Number".

Have Questions?

If you didn't find the National Register listing you were looking for or have other questions about the National Register, please email us and we can help: