Wisconsin Historical Society

National or State Registers Record

625-629 N. Eighth St.

National or State Register of Historic Places
625-629 N. Eighth St. | National or State Registers Record | Wisconsin Historical Society
NAMES
Historic Name:Imig, Henry and Charles, Block
Reference Number:98000849
PROPERTY LOCATION
Location (Address):625-629 N. Eighth St.
County:Sheboygan
City/Village:Sheboygan
Township:
SUMMARY
Henry and Charles Imig Block
625-627 North Eight Street, Sheboygan, Sheboygan County
Builder: Luecke & Roeder and Fred Hildebrand
Date of Construction: 1881-82

Nineteen-century Sheboygan was a major manufacturing center. Population rose as industries grew, increasing the market for goods and services. Local merchant tailor Michael Imig opened a shop in downtown Sheboygan. When he died, his two sons, Henry and Charles, took over the business and became the most successful men¿s clothing dealers in town. The Imig brothers built a new building in 1881 to satisfy their need for more space. A shoe store was included in the project for their brother Jacob.

Their new building reflects a stylistic transition from the simpler Italianate popular for commercial buildings to a more elaborate High Victorian style. Their novel design used colorful, polychromatic brickwork and an elaborately over-scaled and classically influenced metal cornice to define the structure. Its opulent character was also a sign of civic maturity that demonstrated wealth and economic vitality of both the building owner and the community.

The main façade, while harmonious, is distinct in design. The first story showcases three storefronts divided by four full height pilasters. The two end units had large plate glass display windows flanking a recessed entrance. The elaborate metal cornice acts as division between the two stories. Segmental arched windows are placed in the second story above the north and south storefronts. Two paired semi-circular arch windows top the middle storefront. At the roofline, an elaborate corbelled brick cornice unites the entire façade.

Its owners, using the Federal Historic Preservation tax credits, have rehabilitated the Imig Block.

The buildings are open during regular business hours.

PROPERTY FEATURES
Period of Significance:1881-1882
Area of Significance:Architecture
Applicable Criteria:Architecture/Engineering
Historic Use:Commerce/Trade: Specialty Store
Architectural Style:Italianate
Resource Type:Building
Architect:Luecke & Roeder
Architect:Hildebrand, Fred
DESIGNATIONS
Historic Status:Listed in the National Register
Historic Status:Listed in the State Register
National Register Listing Date:07/09/1998
State Register Listing Date:04/17/1998
NUMBER OF RESOURCES WITHIN PROPERTY
Number of Contributing Buildings:1
Number of Contributing Sites:0
Number of Contributing Structures:0
Number of Contributing Objects:0
Number of Non-Contributing Sites:0
Number of Non-Contributing Structures:0
Number of Non-Contributing Objects:0
RECORD LOCATION
National Register and State Register of Historic Places, Division of Historic Preservation, Wisconsin Historical Society, Madison, Wisconsin

How to Cite

For the purposes of a bibliography entry or footnote, follow this model:

National Register of Historic Places Citation
National Register of Historic Places, "Historic Name", "Town", "County", "State", "Reference Number".

Have Questions?

If you didn't find the National Register listing you were looking for or have other questions about the National Register, please email us and we can help: