Wisconsin Historical Society

National or State Registers Record

2 mi. S of Spring Green on STH 23

National or State Register of Historic Places
2 mi. S of Spring Green on STH 23 | National or State Registers Record | Wisconsin Historical Society
NAMES
Historic Name:Taliesin
Reference Number:73000081
PROPERTY LOCATION
Location (Address):2 mi. S of Spring Green on STH 23
County:Iowa
City/Village:
Township:Wyoming
SUMMARY
Taliesin
STH 23, Town of Wyoming, Iowa County
Architect: Frank Lloyd Wright

In 1911, Frank Lloyd Wright began his home, Taliesin, outside Spring Green, Wisconsin. Taliesin, a Welsh word meaning "shining brow," acknowledges its perch on the brow of a stately hill. This hill captivated Wright as a teenager working on the surrounding farms of his Welsh maternal relatives, the Lloyd-Jones'. Wright intended Taliesin to be a home, studio and farm for himself and his mistress, Mamah Borthwick. Over time, Wright amassed the surrounding buildings and land, creating his Taliesin estate. Today the estate totals 600 acres with five Wright-designed structures, and a Wright-designed waterfall.

Two of Wright's buildings stand within sight of his home: "Romeo and Juliet" and Tan-y-Deri. Wright designed Romeo and Juliet in 1886 as a windmill tower to pump water to his aunts' co-educational Hillside Home School. The wooden tower's daring design has no internal support, but is comprised of two interlocking forms that inspired its name. Romeo, a diamond, protects Juliet from the southwesterly winds. Juliet, an octagon, embraces and supports Romeo. Tan-y-deri, a 1907 home commissioned by Wright's sister and brother-in-law, sits in the shadow of Romeo and Juliet. Tan-y-deri is also Welsh, translating as "Under the Oaks," reflecting its setting among mature oaks.

Further down the hill is Hillside School, another Wright building commissioned by his aunts. Built in 1902-3, Hillside is T-shaped with walls of sandstone, beige stucco and broad, protective roofs. Hillside includes an assembly hall supported by the corners, instead of the outer walls. Wright said later that the Hillside Home School helped him to "break the box" of architecture.

The Taliesin estate also contains Wright's Midway Barns, a farm complex that clings to a prominent hill. Wright employed the newest farming techniques at Midway Barns, which became the agricultural center of the estate from the 1930s until his death.

Taliesin was Wright's sketchbook. Its importance lies in Wright's constant structural and spatial experimentation on both buildings and landscape. Wright changed Taliesin whenever he wanted, particularly after he founded the Taliesin Fellowship with his third wife, Olgivanna, in 1932. Mr. Wright and Mrs. Wright created the Fellowship as an architectural and artistic community, teaching the apprentices to "learn by doing." Under Wright's direction, his apprentices added a 5,000 sq. foot drafting studio to the Hillside Home School, remodeled the original Hillside gym into a theater, expanded Midway Barns, planted or removed trees and reshaped the estate's pond, and made scores of changes to the Taliesin residence.

Additionally, several fires forced Wright to make changes at the Taliesin estate. Two fires destroyed the living quarters of the Taliesin residence. On August 15, 1914, one of Wright's servants set fire to the building and murdered seven people, including Borthwick, while Wright was working in Chicago. The second fire, on April 22, 1925, was likely caused by electrical problems. Wright redesigned and rebuilt Taliesin each time. And finally, on April 26, 1952, a fire consumed one wing of the Hillside structure, allowing Wright to redesign its dining room and theater.

Today, the Frank Lloyd Wright Foundation owns the Taliesin estate. The Taliesin Fellowship, under the auspices of the Foundation, uses the estate as its summer residence. Tours at the Taliesin estate are run by Taliesin Preservation, Inc., a separate organization. Tours are offered seasonally.

PROPERTY FEATURES
Period of Significance:1902-1938
Area of Significance:Architecture
Area of Significance:Education
Area of Significance:Landscape Architecture
Applicable Criteria:Event
Applicable Criteria:Architecture/Engineering
Historic Use:Domestic: Single Dwelling
Historic Use:Commerce/Trade: Professional
Historic Use:Education: School
Historic Use:Education: Educational Related Housing
Architectural Style:Prairie School
Resource Type:District
Architect:Wright,Frank Lloyd
DESIGNATIONS
Historic Status:Listed in the National Register
Historic Status:Listed in the State Register
Historic Status:National Historic Landmark Status Granted
National Historic Landmark Listing Date:Wed Jan 07 00:00:00 UTC 1976
National Register Listing Date:04/14/1973
State Register Listing Date:01/01/1989
NUMBER OF RESOURCES WITHIN PROPERTY
Number of Contributing Buildings:5
Number of Contributing Sites:1
Number of Contributing Structures:3
Number of Contributing Objects:0
Number of Non-Contributing Sites:1
Number of Non-Contributing Structures:3
Number of Non-Contributing Objects:0
RECORD LOCATION
National Register and State Register of Historic Places, Division of Historic Preservation, Wisconsin Historical Society, Madison, Wisconsin

How to Cite

For the purposes of a bibliography entry or footnote, follow this model:

National Register of Historic Places Citation
National Register of Historic Places, "Historic Name", "Town", "County", "State", "Reference Number".

Have Questions?

If you didn't find the National Register listing you were looking for or have other questions about the National Register, please email us and we can help: