Wisconsin Historical Society

National or State Registers Record

Pearl Avenue generally bounded by Grand Avenue and Franklin Street and portions of Pleasant and Divsion streets

National or State Register of Historic Places
Pearl Avenue generally bounded by Grand Avenue and Franklin Street and portions of Pleasant and Divsion streets | National or State Registers Record | Wisconsin Historical Society
NAMES
Historic Name:Pearl and Grand Avenue Historic District
Reference Number:04001004
PROPERTY LOCATION
Location (Address):Pearl Avenue generally bounded by Grand Avenue and Franklin Street and portions of Pleasant and Divsion streets
County:Waukesha
City/Village:Mukwonago (village)
Township:
SUMMARY
Pearl and Grand Avenue Historic District
Portions of Grand Avenue, Division, Pleasant, Pearl and Franklin streets
Mukwonago, Waukesha County
Dates of Construction of contributing buildings: 1892-1954

The Pearl and Grand Avenue Historic District is a small residential neighborhood just north of Mukwonago's business district. The neighborhood developed shortly after the railroad came through the village in 1885 and continued to grow as the village prospered as an agricultural support center. The original residents were a mix of business and trades people and included four prolific builders: Joseph Clist, William Hillier, William Vick and Albert Grutzmacher. Noted residents such as agriculturist Asa Craig, "The Melon King," and lumberman and grain dealer Rolland Porter lived along Pearl Street.

Architectural styles include Queen Anne and Colonial Revival, as well as simpler homes which exhibit characteristics common to Mukwonago houses┬┐the truncated hip roof and the coved eave. Original materials utilized in the district include rock-faced and decoratively stamped concrete block, clapboard and brick. Thickly mortared fieldstone, used liberally for foundations and porches, is another hallmark design element of the community. The Spanish Colonial Revival style St. James Catholic Church (1926), located at 425 Grand Avenue, features this distinctive fieldstone in its foundation and wall buttresses. The most striking structure in the district is a garden folly at 212 Pearl Avenue, known as "Blarney Castle." Constructed of local limestone, this small interpretation of an Irish castle tower was built in 1897, the result of a friendly neighborhood gardening rivalry.

The residences in the Pearl and Grand Avenue Historic District are privately owned, please respect the privacy rights of their owners.

PROPERTY FEATURES
Period of Significance:1892-1954
Area of Significance:Architecture
Applicable Criteria:Architecture/Engineering
Historic Use:Religion: Religious Facility
Historic Use:Domestic: Single Dwelling
Architectural Style:Late 19th And 20th Century Revivals
Architectural Style:Late 19th And Early 20th Century American Movements
Architectural Style:Late Victorian
Resource Type:District
Architect:E. Brielmaier & Sons
Architect:Brust & Brust
DESIGNATIONS
Historic Status:Listed in the National Register
Historic Status:Listed in the State Register
National Register Listing Date:09/15/2004
State Register Listing Date:04/16/2004
NUMBER OF RESOURCES WITHIN PROPERTY
Number of Contributing Buildings:22
Number of Contributing Sites:0
Number of Contributing Structures:1
Number of Contributing Objects:0
Number of Non-Contributing Sites:0
Number of Non-Contributing Structures:1
Number of Non-Contributing Objects:0
RECORD LOCATION
National Register and State Register of Historic Places, Division of Historic Preservation, Wisconsin Historical Society, Madison, Wisconsin

How to Cite

For the purposes of a bibliography entry or footnote, follow this model:

National Register of Historic Places Citation
National Register of Historic Places, "Historic Name", "Town", "County", "State", "Reference Number".

Have Questions?

If you didn't find the National Register listing you were looking for or have other questions about the National Register, please email us and we can help: