Wisconsin Historical Society

National or State Registers Record

134 West Jefferson Street

National or State Register of Historic Places
134 West Jefferson Street | National or State Registers Record | Wisconsin Historical Society
NAMES
Historic Name:State Bank of Spring Green
Reference Number:10000463
PROPERTY LOCATION
Location (Address):134 West Jefferson Street
County:Sauk
City/Village:Spring Green
Township:
SUMMARY
State Bank of Spring Green
134 West Jefferson Street, Spring Green, Sauk County
Date of construction: 1915
Architect: William Hilgen

The 1915 State Bank of Spring Green is a one-story, Neoclassical Revival-style building constructed of glazed, speckled beige brick, and features extensive use of custom-designed brown-speckled terra cotta ornamentation sourced from the Midland Terra Cotta Company of Chicago. Midland was an important supplier to architects of the era, especially those who favored the plain white glazed stock terra cotta ornament in the style of Louis Sullivan. The building, including the detailed terra cotta ornament, was designed by the prominent Cedarburg Wisconsin architect, William F. Hilgen. Nearly all of the elements of the interior of the bank remain essentially intact from the original construction, including: marble-faced teller cages, the bank vault and vault doors, wood doors and molding, coffered ceiling, light fixtures, wood floors, tile floors, and plaster walls. A modern addition to the rear of the building was completed in 2007 to accommodate the building’s current use as a restaurant.

At the time of its construction, the State Bank of Spring Green was one of two banks in the community. The building housed the bank until 1962. In 2007, after a period of use as an artist's studio and residence, the former bank was purchased and converted into a restaurant. The building is open during normal business hours.

PROPERTY FEATURES
Period of Significance:1915
Area of Significance:Architecture
Applicable Criteria:Architecture/Engineering
Historic Use:Commerce/Trade: Financial Institution
Architectural Style:Classical Revival
Resource Type:Building
Architect:Hilgen, William F.
Architect:Ludwig, Frank L.
DESIGNATIONS
Historic Status:Listed in the National Register
Historic Status:Listed in the State Register
National Register Listing Date:07/16/2010
State Register Listing Date:05/07/2010
NUMBER OF RESOURCES WITHIN PROPERTY
Number of Contributing Buildings:1
Number of Contributing Sites:0
Number of Contributing Structures:0
Number of Contributing Objects:0
Number of Non-Contributing Sites:0
Number of Non-Contributing Structures:0
Number of Non-Contributing Objects:0
RECORD LOCATION
National Register and State Register of Historic Places, Division of Historic Preservation, Wisconsin Historical Society, Madison, Wisconsin

How to Cite

For the purposes of a bibliography entry or footnote, follow this model:

National Register of Historic Places Citation
National Register of Historic Places, "Historic Name", "Town", "County", "State", "Reference Number".

Have Questions?

If you didn't find the National Register listing you were looking for or have other questions about the National Register, please email us and we can help: