Wisconsin Historical Society

National or State Registers Record

W3081 County Highway Y

National or State Register of Historic Places
W3081 County Highway Y | National or State Registers Record | Wisconsin Historical Society
NAMES
Historic Name:St. Andrew's Church
Reference Number:09001295
PROPERTY LOCATION
Location (Address):W3081 County Highway Y
County:Dodge
City/Village:
Township:Leroy
SUMMARY
St. Andrew's Church
W3081 County Highway Y, Town of LeRoy, Dodge County
Date of Construction: 1901
Architect: Anton Dohmen

Hailed as the "Cathedral of the Marsh" by one of its pastors, St. Andrew's is a large and impressive Gothic Revival style building that rises majestically out of the flat farm fields that surround it. Located in the unincorporated village of LeRoy, only a few miles from the famed Horicon Marsh, St. Andrew's was the center of religious and social life for generations of ethnic German farmers in the area. Between 1849 and 1901, these ethnic German families would build a large religious complex, including a church, school, rectory, and convent.

In 1899, St. Andrew's congregation chose architect Anton Dohmen, a master architect of religious buildings, to design their new church. Dohmen, who excelled in the design and ornamentation of large churches, gave the congregation a building with all the trappings of the Gothic Revival style: pointed arch openings, buttresses, and towers. On the interior, Dohmen designed a high and impressive vaulted ceiling, including a structural rib vault much like those found in medieval churches.

The ethnic German farmers of LeRoy dug deep into their pockets to pay for the new church and had to complete much of the interior work themselves. It was 1912 before they raised funds for stained glass windows, and 1922 before a professional decoration of the interior could be done. But, like with the church itself, the congregation spared no expense for these details. They hired the noted Emil Frei Art Glass Company of St. Louis to create over 20 stained glass windows. These stained glass windows are works of art with vivid colors and intricate details. The decoration of the interior in 1922 also included works of art, small figural murals and medallions.

Over the years, St. Andrew's congregation has maintained their "cathedral's" historic appearance. Repairs and upgrades to the church have been done in a manner that does not negatively affect historic features. When many Catholic churches removed elaborately decorated altars and statuary, St. Andrew's retained them. While many congregations long for new buildings, St. Andrew's members work to retain the viability of their historic church.

PROPERTY FEATURES
Period of Significance:1901-1922
Area of Significance:Architecture
Applicable Criteria:Architecture/Engineering
Historic Use:Religion: Religious Facility
Architectural Style:Gothic
Resource Type:Building
Architect:Frei, Emil, Art Glass Company
Architect:Dohmen, Anton
DESIGNATIONS
Historic Status:Listed in the National Register
Historic Status:Listed in the State Register
National Register Listing Date:1/27/2010 12:00:00 AM
State Register Listing Date:10/23/2009 12:00:00 AM
NUMBER OF RESOURCES WITHIN PROPERTY
Number of Contributing Buildings:1
Number of Contributing Sites:0
Number of Contributing Structures:0
Number of Contributing Objects:0
Number of Non-Contributing Sites:0
Number of Non-Contributing Structures:0
Number of Non-Contributing Objects:0
RECORD LOCATION
National Register and State Register of Historic Places, Division of Historic Preservation, Wisconsin Historical Society, Madison, Wisconsin

How to Cite

For the purposes of a bibliography entry or footnote, follow this model:

National Register of Historic Places Citation
National Register of Historic Places, "Historic Name", "Town", "County", "State", "Reference Number".

Have Questions?

If you didn't find the National Register listing you were looking for or have other questions about the National Register, please email us and we can help: