Wisconsin Historical Society

National or State Registers Record

317-319 South Barstow / 306 Main Street

National or State Register of Historic Places
317-319 South Barstow / 306 Main Street | National or State Registers Record | Wisconsin Historical Society
NAMES
Historic Name:Eau Claire Masonic Temple
Reference Number:07001197
PROPERTY LOCATION
Location (Address):317-319 South Barstow / 306 Main Street
County:Eau Claire
City/Village:Eau Claire
Township:
SUMMARY
Eau Claire Masonic Temple
317-319 South Barstow Street/ 306 Main Street
Eau Claire, Eau Claire County
Date of Construction: 1898-1899

The Romanesque inspired Masonic Temple, located in the heart of Eau Claire's historic downtown commercial area, was the first building in the city of Eau Claire built specifically for use by the Masonic fraternity. Organized in 1857, the Masons included many prominent men active in the financial, social and cultural development of Eau Claire during the late-19th and early-20th centuries. The Masons remained in this building until 1928, meeting in the upper levels and renting the first floor to Williams Furniture Company. From the time the Masons moved to their new temple several blocks away, a succession of furniture retailers have occupied the building.

The Masonic Temple is an outstanding example of Romanesque Revival architecture and is one of the last surviving buildings of this style in the City of Eau Claire. The two-story red brick façade features a pair of massive, rough-cut limestone arches that are the hallmark of this popular late-19th century style. The round arch theme is repeated in the Main Street entry, south façade windows and in ornamental detailing in the cornice on the west facade. Additional distinctive decorative elements are three multi-colored glazed tile capitals atop three fluted corner pilasters. The mostly intact exterior is matched by a similarly well-preserved interior that features a curved first floor mezzanine and a second story balcony used by the Masons. The original hand-operated elevator is in place and functional.

The Masonic Temple is currently a privately owned gallery, furniture and antique shop open to the public during regular business hours.

PROPERTY FEATURES
Period of Significance:1899
Area of Significance:Architecture
Applicable Criteria:Architecture/Engineering
Historic Use:Social: Meeting Hall
Historic Use:Commerce/Trade: Specialty Store
Architectural Style:Romanesque
Resource Type:Building
Architect:unknown
DESIGNATIONS
Historic Status:Listed in the National Register
Historic Status:Listed in the State Register
National Register Listing Date:11/14/2007
State Register Listing Date:01/19/2007
NUMBER OF RESOURCES WITHIN PROPERTY
Number of Contributing Buildings:1
Number of Contributing Sites:0
Number of Contributing Structures:0
Number of Contributing Objects:0
Number of Non-Contributing Sites:0
Number of Non-Contributing Structures:0
Number of Non-Contributing Objects:0
RECORD LOCATION
National Register and State Register of Historic Places, Division of Historic Preservation, Wisconsin Historical Society, Madison, Wisconsin

How to Cite

For the purposes of a bibliography entry or footnote, follow this model:

National Register of Historic Places Citation
National Register of Historic Places, "Historic Name", "Town", "County", "State", "Reference Number".

Have Questions?

If you didn't find the National Register listing you were looking for or have other questions about the National Register, please email us and we can help: