Wisconsin Historical Society

National or State Registers Record

Generally bounded by Ridgeway, North Wisconsin, North Huron and George streets

National or State Register of Historic Places
Generally bounded by Ridgeway, North Wisconsin, North Huron and George streets | National or State Registers Record | Wisconsin Historical Society
NAMES
Historic Name:North Michigan Street- North Superior Street Historic District
Reference Number:07000707
PROPERTY LOCATION
Location (Address):Generally bounded by Ridgeway, North Wisconsin, North Huron and George streets
County:Brown
City/Village:De Pere
Township:
SUMMARY
N. Michigan St.-N. Superior St. Historic District
Roughly bounded by Ridgeview Boulevard and by N. Wisconsin, N. Huron, and George streets, De Pere, Brown County
Dates of construction of contributing buildings: 1867-1954

The 114 houses and school building that make up the N. Michigan St.-N. Superior St. Historic District constitute the oldest residential neighborhood in the city of De Pere, one of Wisconsin's oldest communities. Jesuit priests first settled this location as early as 1670, but the city got its start in 1835 with the construction of a dam across the river to create waterpower for industry. The original plat of De Pere was recorded in the same year and part of that plat is included within the boundaries of the District. Little was built here until 1850, when a bridge was built across the dam, linking the two sides of the river. Once the bridge was in place, commercial districts quickly evolved at both ends of the bridge and many of the houses in the neighborhood were built for persons who worked in the commercial area on the east side of the river.

Most of the houses in the District are small to middle-sized examples of the various architectural styles and vernacular forms popular in De Pere during the period. The oldest houses are Italianate examples that date from the 1860s and the early 1870s, but there are also numerous smaller Queen Anne, Bungalow, American Foursquare, and Colonial Revival and Dutch Colonial Revival houses throughout the neighborhood.

The houses in the district are private residences. Please respect the rights and privacy of the owners.

PROPERTY FEATURES
Period of Significance:1867-1954
Area of Significance:Architecture
Applicable Criteria:Architecture/Engineering
Historic Use:Education: School
Historic Use:Domestic: Single Dwelling
Architectural Style:Colonial Revival
Architectural Style:Queen Anne
Architectural Style:Bungalow/Craftsman
Resource Type:District
Architect:Juul, Smyth & Reynolds
DESIGNATIONS
Historic Status:Listed in the National Register
Historic Status:Listed in the State Register
National Register Listing Date:07/19/2007
State Register Listing Date:10/13/2006
NUMBER OF RESOURCES WITHIN PROPERTY
Number of Contributing Buildings:104
Number of Contributing Sites:0
Number of Contributing Structures:0
Number of Contributing Objects:0
Number of Non-Contributing Sites:0
Number of Non-Contributing Structures:0
Number of Non-Contributing Objects:0
RECORD LOCATION
National Register and State Register of Historic Places, Division of Historic Preservation, Wisconsin Historical Society, Madison, Wisconsin

How to Cite

For the purposes of a bibliography entry or footnote, follow this model:

National Register of Historic Places Citation
National Register of Historic Places, "Historic Name", "Town", "County", "State", "Reference Number".

Have Questions?

If you didn't find the National Register listing you were looking for or have other questions about the National Register, please email us and we can help: