Wisconsin Historical Society

National or State Registers Record

201 West Arnold Street

National or State Register of Historic Places
201 West Arnold Street | National or State Registers Record | Wisconsin Historical Society
NAMES
Historic Name:Columbia Park Band Shell
Reference Number:08000842
PROPERTY LOCATION
Location (Address):201 West Arnold Street
County:Wood
City/Village:Marshfield
Township:
SUMMARY
Columbia Park Band Shell
201 W. Arnold Street, Marshfield, Wood County
Builder: Frank Felhofer
Date of construction: 1931

The City of Marshfield built the Art Deco style Columbia Park Band Shell in 1931 as a replacement for a smaller wooden band stand. The earlier band stand had been built in Columbia Park in 1903 and was demolished in 1927. By 1929, plans for a new music facility for the park were ready, but the proposed Neo-Classical Revival style wooden band shell proved to be too expensive to build at that time. By 1931, however, the desire to provide free summer entertainment to the citizens of the city and the need to alleviate local unemployment caused by the Great Depression convinced the Marshfield City Council to once again consider the construction of a new music facility in the park. Fortunately, revised plans drawn up in the interim for a new Art Deco style brick band shell proved to be affordable after a local brick company offered the City the necessary brick at a greatly reduced price. By the summer of 1932, the new band shell was in operation and it continues to host both musical and non-musical events.

The band stand is located in the city's oldest park, Columbia Park. The park consists of a full city block that is bounded by N. Walnut Ave., W. Arnold St., N. Chestnut Ave., and W. Blodgett St. The estate of Samuel Marsh donated this block in 1875 for use as a park. A historic residential neighborhood surrounds the park, and the outstanding Gothic Revival style St. John's Catholic Church, built in 1894, is located on W. Blodgett St. directly across from the park.

The City of Marshfield owns and operates the band shell; it is accessible to the public during normal park hours.

PROPERTY FEATURES
Period of Significance:1931-1958
Area of Significance:Entertainment/Recreation
Applicable Criteria:Event
Historic Use:Recreation And Culture: Music Facility
Architectural Style:Art Deco
Resource Type:Structure
Architect:Felhofer, Frank A.
DESIGNATIONS
Historic Status:Listed in the National Register
Historic Status:Listed in the State Register
National Register Listing Date:09/03/2008
State Register Listing Date:01/18/2008
NUMBER OF RESOURCES WITHIN PROPERTY
Number of Contributing Buildings:0
Number of Contributing Sites:0
Number of Contributing Structures:1
Number of Contributing Objects:0
Number of Non-Contributing Sites:0
Number of Non-Contributing Structures:1
Number of Non-Contributing Objects:0
RECORD LOCATION
National Register and State Register of Historic Places, Division of Historic Preservation, Wisconsin Historical Society, Madison, Wisconsin

How to Cite

For the purposes of a bibliography entry or footnote, follow this model:

National Register of Historic Places Citation
National Register of Historic Places, "Historic Name", "Town", "County", "State", "Reference Number".

Have Questions?

If you didn't find the National Register listing you were looking for or have other questions about the National Register, please email us and we can help: