Wisconsin Historical Society

National or State Registers Record

117 East Main Street

National or State Register of Historic Places
117 East Main Street | National or State Registers Record | Wisconsin Historical Society
NAMES
Historic Name:Brandon Village Hall and Library
Reference Number:07001388
PROPERTY LOCATION
Location (Address):117 East Main Street
County:Fond du Lac
City/Village:Brandon
Township:
SUMMARY
Brandon Village Hall and Library
117 East Main Street, Brandon, Fond du Lac County
Builder: Joseph Hutter
Date of construction: 1894

The Brandon Village Hall and Library has played many roles in the history of its community. From its brief use as a commercial cold storage building to its long-term use as a village hall and public library, the building has housed activities that have been important in the development of Brandon's local government and public education.

Local entrepreneur Charles Ellis had this commercial vernacular building constructed in 1894 as a combination retail building and cold storage plant. A harness shop was located in the storefront, while the cold storage plant occupied the second floor. Cork or other thick insulation on the second floor made for deep window wells that remain in the building today.

The cold storage business was not a successful venture, and in 1897, Ellis sold the building to the Village of Brandon. This purchase was an important step for the village because it established a permanent location for village government and the fire department. The village renovated the second story cold storage plant into two meeting rooms and housed the fire department's horse-drawn engine and hoses in the rear half of the first floor. The village installed the bell tower on top of the building as a fire alarm.

The harness shop remained in the front half of the first floor until 1913, when the public library moved into the space. When the fire department had to move to larger quarters in the mid-twentieth century, that space became a city garage. In 1973, the library expanded into the garage space. Also during the mid-twentieth century, the smaller meeting room on the second floor was remodeled into a village office and remained there until 2001.

The former Ellis Block remains a public building today, with the library on the first floor and the Brandon Historical Society on the second floor. Charles Ellis' simple cold storage building, meant to add to the village's agricultural economic base, instead became the most important public building in the village. Its bell tower is often used as a village symbol.

The building is open to the public during normal business hours.

PROPERTY FEATURES
Period of Significance:1897-1957
Area of Significance:Education
Area of Significance:Politics/Government
Applicable Criteria:Event
Historic Use:Commerce/Trade: Specialty Store
Historic Use:Government: City Hall
Historic Use:Education: Library
Architectural Style:Late Victorian
Resource Type:Building
Architect:Hutter, Joseph
DESIGNATIONS
Historic Status:Listed in the National Register
Historic Status:Listed in the State Register
National Register Listing Date:01/09/2008
State Register Listing Date:04/27/2007
NUMBER OF RESOURCES WITHIN PROPERTY
Number of Contributing Buildings:1
Number of Contributing Sites:0
Number of Contributing Structures:0
Number of Contributing Objects:0
Number of Non-Contributing Sites:0
Number of Non-Contributing Structures:0
Number of Non-Contributing Objects:0
RECORD LOCATION
National Register and State Register of Historic Places, Division of Historic Preservation, Wisconsin Historical Society, Madison, Wisconsin

How to Cite

For the purposes of a bibliography entry or footnote, follow this model:

National Register of Historic Places Citation
National Register of Historic Places, "Historic Name", "Town", "County", "State", "Reference Number".

Have Questions?

If you didn't find the National Register listing you were looking for or have other questions about the National Register, please email us and we can help: