Wisconsin Historical Society

National or State Registers Record

West Fifth Street and West Sixth Street generally bounded by Adams Avenue and Oak Avenue

National or State Register of Historic Places
West Fifth Street and West Sixth Street generally bounded by Adams Avenue and Oak Avenue | National or State Registers Record | Wisconsin Historical Society
NAMES
Historic Name:West Fifth Street - West Sixth Street Historic District
Reference Number:06000054
PROPERTY LOCATION
Location (Address):West Fifth Street and West Sixth Street generally bounded by Adams Avenue and Oak Avenue
County:Wood
City/Village:Marshfield
Township:
SUMMARY
West Fifth Street - West Sixth Street Historic District
Roughly bounded by W. Fifth St., S. Oak Ave., W. Sixth St., and S. Adams Ave.
Marshfield, Wood County
Dates of Contributing Buildings: 1900-1958

By the beginning of the twentieth century, Marshfield's role as an important center of the lumber industry was fading, while the era of new agriculture and healthcare-related industries was beginning. The 58-building W. Fifth Street-W. Sixth Street Historic District stretches for several blocks up a wooded hillside. Within its boundaries are the homes of many of those who founded these new industries. For their homes they employed the most popular architectural styles of the first half of the twentieth century.

It is the district's Period Revival style houses that define the neighborhood┬┐s early twentieth century flavor. The most notable of these houses is the superb Colonial Revival style Charles E. Blodgett house at 812 W. Fifth St., built in 1918. It is surrounded by smaller houses belonging to Blodgettt┬┐s children. Also notable are the two houses built for doctors Karl H. and Paul W. Doege, the sons of Dr. Karl W. Doege, who was the founder of the Marshfield Clinic. These houses were built side by side at 1000 and 1010 W. Fifth St. in 1924 and 1931 and are excellent examples of the Tudor and Mediterranean Revival styles.

Also notable are the district's fine Bungalow and Craftsman style houses, most of which are found in the older, eastern end of the district. More modern houses, including a number of fine, early ranch style houses, are concentrated in the districts western end.

The houses in this district are private residences and are not open to the public. Please respect the privacy of the residents.

PROPERTY FEATURES
Period of Significance:1900-1958
Area of Significance:Architecture
Applicable Criteria:Architecture/Engineering
Historic Use:Domestic: Single Dwelling
Architectural Style:Bungalow/Craftsman
Architectural Style:Queen Anne
Architectural Style:Colonial Revival
Architectural Style:Tudor Revival
Architectural Style:Modern Movement
Resource Type:District
Architect:Schley, George, and Sons
DESIGNATIONS
Historic Status:Listed in the National Register
Historic Status:Listed in the State Register
National Register Listing Date:02/14/2006
State Register Listing Date:09/23/2005
NUMBER OF RESOURCES WITHIN PROPERTY
Number of Contributing Buildings:52
Number of Contributing Sites:0
Number of Contributing Structures:0
Number of Contributing Objects:0
Number of Non-Contributing Sites:0
Number of Non-Contributing Structures:0
Number of Non-Contributing Objects:0
RECORD LOCATION
National Register and State Register of Historic Places, Division of Historic Preservation, Wisconsin Historical Society, Madison, Wisconsin

How to Cite

For the purposes of a bibliography entry or footnote, follow this model:

National Register of Historic Places Citation
National Register of Historic Places, "Historic Name", "Town", "County", "State", "Reference Number".

Have Questions?

If you didn't find the National Register listing you were looking for or have other questions about the National Register, please email us and we can help: