Wisconsin Historical Society

National or State Registers Record

Generally bounded by Ridgeway Boulevard, Oakdale Avenue and Glenwood Avenue

National or State Register of Historic Places
Generally bounded by Ridgeway Boulevard, Oakdale Avenue and Glenwood Avenue | National or State Registers Record | Wisconsin Historical Society
NAMES
Historic Name:Randall Avenue Historic District
Reference Number:07000370
PROPERTY LOCATION
Location (Address):Generally bounded by Ridgeway Boulevard, Oakdale Avenue and Glenwood Avenue
County:Brown
City/Village:De Pere
Township:
SUMMARY
Randall Avenue Historic District
Roughly bounded by Ridegway Boulevard and Oakdale and Glenwood avenues
De Pere, Brown County
Dates of construction of contributing buildings: 1908-1955

By 1937, the Fox River Valley economy was recovering from the effects of the Great Depression and new home construction in the De Pere area was starting to revive. One of the first De Pere suburbs to benefit from this revival was the Randall Avenue Historic District, which became the focus of the activities of real estate dealers in both Green Bay and De Pere. Depression era work projects had paved the area's major artery, Broadway, the principal north-south running highway connecting De Pere to Green Bay. Broadway is located just one street west of the district and its paving meant that what had once been a time-consuming journey by either public or private transport was now an easy commute for automobiles. Convenience and the natural beauty of the district sold lots. By 1942, half the lots in the district were developed and the district was well on its way to becoming one of De Pere's premier residential neighborhoods.

While the neighborhood contains a mix of architectural styles, it is the district's Colonial Revival houses, all built between 1928 and 1955, that form the core of its architectural identity. The most notable of the district's houses is the superb Georgian Revival style Elmer Stone residence at 722 Nicolet Ave., built in 1949. It was one of the last houses designed by Madison, Wisconsin architect Frank M. Riley, one of the state's finest period revival style specialists.

The homes in this district are private residences. Please respect the rights and privacy of the residents.

PROPERTY FEATURES
Period of Significance:1908-1955
Area of Significance:Architecture
Applicable Criteria:Architecture/Engineering
Historic Use:Domestic: Single Dwelling
Architectural Style:Classical Revival
Architectural Style:Colonial Revival
Architectural Style:Tudor Revival
Architectural Style:Modern Movement
Resource Type:District
Architect:Geniesse, Levi A.
Architect:Foeller, Schober & Berners
Architect:Riley, Frank
DESIGNATIONS
Historic Status:Listed in the National Register
Historic Status:Listed in the State Register
National Register Listing Date:04/24/2007
State Register Listing Date:10/13/2006
NUMBER OF RESOURCES WITHIN PROPERTY
Number of Contributing Buildings:60
Number of Contributing Sites:0
Number of Contributing Structures:0
Number of Contributing Objects:0
Number of Non-Contributing Sites:0
Number of Non-Contributing Structures:0
Number of Non-Contributing Objects:0
RECORD LOCATION
National Register and State Register of Historic Places, Division of Historic Preservation, Wisconsin Historical Society, Madison, Wisconsin

How to Cite

For the purposes of a bibliography entry or footnote, follow this model:

National Register of Historic Places Citation
National Register of Historic Places, "Historic Name", "Town", "County", "State", "Reference Number".

Have Questions?

If you didn't find the National Register listing you were looking for or have other questions about the National Register, please email us and we can help: