Wisconsin Historical Society

National or State Registers Record

Jct. of Anvil Lake Rd. and WI 70

National or State Register of Historic Places
Jct. of Anvil Lake Rd. and WI 70 | National or State Registers Record | Wisconsin Historical Society
NAMES
Historic Name:Anvil Lake Campground Shelter
Reference Number:96000542
PROPERTY LOCATION
Location (Address):Jct. of Anvil Lake Rd. and WI 70
County:Vilas
City/Village:
Township:Washington
SUMMARY
Anvil Lake Campground Shelter
Anvil Lake Road and STH 70, Eagle River, Vilas County
Date of construction: 1936

Out of the horrible American Great Depression came the optimistic government-funded Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) that offered unemployed young men an opportunity to receive training and to earn money. One such CCC project was the construction of the Anvil Lake Campground Shelter in Northern Wisconsin in 1936.

In 1932, it was estimated that 20% of the American work force was unemployed. In response to these statistics, President Franklin D. Roosevelt implemented innovative New Deal policies to improve the economy and to look after the welfare of Americans. One such program was the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC), a work program for unmarried men ages 17-24 whose families received relief. After enrolling in the CCC, the men received food, clothing, shelter, education, job training, and thirty dollars a month allowance (twenty five of which went to the man's family). In exchange, the men worked on projects that helped to conserve the environment or to promote recreation. Over 75,000 men from Wisconsin worked on CCC projects.

The Anvil Lake Campground shelter, located above the southeast shore of Anvil Lake, is an example of the Rustic style of architecture common to parks and forests in the early to mid 1930s. The log building's massive chimney, interior stone fireplace, log bench, exposed rafters, roughly fashioned doors, and absence of decorative elaboration help it to blend in with its natural surrounding. The single level building, which contains a picnic shelter and bathhouse, was built by CCC enrollees from Camp Ninemile in Vilas County.

This recreational building emphasizes both the growth of the Northern Wisconsin tourist industry in the 1930s and America's blossoming interest in nature recreation. The shelter is located in the core of the Anvil Lake Campground of the Chequamegon-Nicolet National Forest. The campground is seasonally operated and is open to the public.

PROPERTY FEATURES
Period of Significance:1925-1949
Area of Significance:Architecture
Area of Significance:Politics/Government
Applicable Criteria:Architecture/Engineering
Applicable Criteria:Event
Historic Use:Recreation And Culture: Outdoor Recreation
Architectural Style:Late 19th And Early 20th Century American Movements
Architectural Style:Other
Resource Type:Building
Architect:Civilian Conservation Corps
DESIGNATIONS
Historic Status:Listed in the National Register
National Register Listing Date:05/21/1996
NUMBER OF RESOURCES WITHIN PROPERTY
Number of Contributing Buildings:1
Number of Contributing Sites:0
Number of Contributing Structures:0
Number of Contributing Objects:0
Number of Non-Contributing Sites:0
Number of Non-Contributing Structures:0
Number of Non-Contributing Objects:0
RECORD LOCATION
National Register and State Register of Historic Places, Division of Historic Preservation, Wisconsin Historical Society, Madison, Wisconsin

How to Cite

For the purposes of a bibliography entry or footnote, follow this model:

National Register of Historic Places Citation
National Register of Historic Places, "Historic Name", "Town", "County", "State", "Reference Number".

Have Questions?

If you didn't find the National Register listing you were looking for or have other questions about the National Register, please email us and we can help: