COVID-19 Updates: The Wisconsin Historical Society hours have changed. See a full list of COVID-19 Closures and Events HERE.

201 East Pittsburgh Avenue | National or State Registers Record | Wisconsin Historical Society

National or State Registers Record

201 East Pittsburgh Avenue

National or State Register of Historic Places
201 East Pittsburgh Avenue | National or State Registers Record | Wisconsin Historical Society
NAMES
Historic Name:Pittsburgh Plate Glass Enamel Plant
Reference Number:09000851
PROPERTY LOCATION
Location (Address):201 East Pittsburgh Avenue
County:Milwaukee
City/Village:Milwaukee
Township:
SUMMARY
Pittsburgh Plate Glass Enamel Plant
201 E Pittsburgh Avenue, Milwaukee, Milwaukee County
Architect: Eschweiler & Eschweiler
Date of construction: 1937

The Pittsburgh Plate Glass (PPG) Enamel Plant is located in an industrial area approximately one mile south of downtown Milwaukee. It was constructed in 1937 as part of the expansion of the Pittsburgh Plate Glass Company Paint & Varnish Division. The new plant housed the enamel productions for the company. Production at the plant ceased in 1976.

The PPG Enamel Plant is an example of an Art Moderne style factory building designed by the noted Milwaukee architectural firm of Eschweiler & Eschweiler. The style came into popularity in the 1930s and was a celebration of industrialism and technology, featuring streamlined elements inspired from the industrial design of ships and airplanes. These buildings are devoid of historical references and feature smooth surfaces and curved corners that give the feeling that airstreams could move smoothly over them.

The firm of Eschweiler & Eschweiler designed a wide variety of buildings, including schools, commercial buildings, residences, club buildings, and industrial buildings. The 1930s and 1940s saw the firm’s work expand into the Moderne style for various projects. Among notable examples is the John W. Mariner Building located at 411 E. Mason Street in downtown Milwaukee built in 1937 as an office building. Another is the WTMJ "Radio City" Building located at 720 E. Capitol Drive built in 1941. Elements of the Moderne are also seen in the McCulloch Engineering Building, designed by the firm in 1941. The McCulloch Engineering Building and the Pittsburgh Plate Glass Company commission are two of four examples of industrial projects used to illustrate the firm's 50th anniversary monograph.

The building has been converted to retail and offices using federal tax incentives.

PROPERTY FEATURES
Period of Significance:1937
Area of Significance:Architecture
Applicable Criteria:Architecture/Engineering
Historic Use:Industry/Processing/Extraction: Manufacturing Facility
Architectural Style:Moderne
Resource Type:Building
Architect:Eschweiler & Eschweiler
DESIGNATIONS
Historic Status:Listed in the National Register
Historic Status:Listed in the State Register
National Register Listing Date:10/21/2009
State Register Listing Date:07/17/2009
NUMBER OF RESOURCES WITHIN PROPERTY
Number of Contributing Buildings:1
Number of Contributing Sites:0
Number of Contributing Structures:0
Number of Contributing Objects:0
Number of Non-Contributing Sites:0
Number of Non-Contributing Structures:0
Number of Non-Contributing Objects:0
RECORD LOCATION
National Register and State Register of Historic Places, Division of Historic Preservation, Wisconsin Historical Society, Madison, Wisconsin

How to Cite

For the purposes of a bibliography entry or footnote, follow this model:

National Register of Historic Places Citation
National Register of Historic Places, "Historic Name", "Town", "County", "State", "Reference Number".

Have Questions?

If you didn't find the National Register listing you were looking for or have other questions about the National Register, please email us and we can help: