Wisconsin Historical Society

National or State Registers Record

101-129 (odd only) South Broadway

National or State Register of Historic Places
101-129 (odd only) South Broadway | National or State Registers Record | Wisconsin Historical Society
NAMES
Historic Name:South Broadway Historic District
Reference Number:09001272
PROPERTY LOCATION
Location (Address):101-129 (odd only) South Broadway
County:Brown
City/Village:De Pere
Township:
SUMMARY
South Broadway Historic District
101-129 S. Broadway, De Pere, Brown County
Dates of construction of contributing buildings: 1882-1888

The city of De Pere is situated on both the east and west sides of the Fox River and is one of Wisconsin's oldest communities. Catholic priests first settled this location as early as 1670, but the city of today got its start in 1835 when a dam was built across the river at this point creating waterpower for industry. Little was built here, though, until 1851, when a bridge constructed across the dam linked the two sides of the river. Once the bridge was in place, commercial districts quickly evolved at both ends of the bridge. The one on the east side centered on the blocks surrounding the intersection of Broadway, whose route parallels the river, and George Street, which divides Broadway into north and south halves.

The South Broadway Historic District contains the most intact concentration of nineteenth century commercial buildings on the east side of the river. By 1882, small, mostly wooden commercial buildings lined the 100 and 200 blocks of N. and S. Broadway. On the night of April 23, a devastating fire destroyed all of the buildings on both sides of the 100 and 200 blocks of S. Broadway. Work on their replacements began almost as soon as the ashes were cold and by the end of the year, five of the District’s six contributing buildings were ready for their first occupants. These consist of one and two-story cream brick-clad buildings that all face west onto the 100 block of South Broadway. The unusual circumstances surrounding their construction can still be discerned by the way the facade of one building blends seamlessly with the one adjacent to it. Normally, buildings like these display clear dividing lines that show where one building ends the other begins, but in this case, since almost all of these buildings were under construction at the same time and their builders were all using the same cream brick to build them, the results were buildings whose main facades have no visible edges.

The district remains a visually coherent and architecturally distinct collection of historic commercial buildings in the city of De Pere.

PROPERTY FEATURES
Period of Significance:1882-1888
Area of Significance:Architecture
Applicable Criteria:Architecture/Engineering
Historic Use:Commerce/Trade: Business
Architectural Style:Late Victorian
Resource Type:District
Architect:LeClair, David
DESIGNATIONS
Historic Status:Listed in the National Register
Historic Status:Listed in the State Register
National Register Listing Date:01/21/2010
State Register Listing Date:07/17/2009
NUMBER OF RESOURCES WITHIN PROPERTY
Number of Contributing Buildings:6
Number of Contributing Sites:0
Number of Contributing Structures:0
Number of Contributing Objects:0
Number of Non-Contributing Sites:0
Number of Non-Contributing Structures:0
Number of Non-Contributing Objects:0
RECORD LOCATION
National Register and State Register of Historic Places, Division of Historic Preservation, Wisconsin Historical Society, Madison, Wisconsin

How to Cite

For the purposes of a bibliography entry or footnote, follow this model:

National Register of Historic Places Citation
National Register of Historic Places, "Historic Name", "Town", "County", "State", "Reference Number".

Have Questions?

If you didn't find the National Register listing you were looking for or have other questions about the National Register, please email us and we can help: