Wisconsin Historical Society

National or State Registers Record

301-377 (odd only) Main Avenue

National or State Register of Historic Places
301-377 (odd only) Main Avenue | National or State Registers Record | Wisconsin Historical Society
NAMES
Historic Name:Main Avenue Historic District
Reference Number:09001314
PROPERTY LOCATION
Location (Address):301-377 (odd only) Main Avenue
County:Brown
City/Village:De Pere
Township:
SUMMARY
Main Avenue Historic District
301-377 (odd only) Main Avenue, De Pere, Brown County
Dates of construction of contributing buildings: 1883-1950

The city of De Pere is situated on both the east and west sides of the Fox River. Catholic priests first settled this location as early as 1670, but the city of today got its start in 1835 when a dam was built across the river at this point, creating waterpower for industry. Little was built here, though, until 1851, when a bridge was built across the dam, linking the two sides of the river. Once the bridge was in place, commercial districts quickly evolved at both ends of the bridge.

The Main Avenue Historic District contains the most intact concentration of nineteenth and twentieth century commercial buildings on the west side of the river. The district consists of eighteen buildings, all of which face north onto the 300 block of the highly important thoroughfare known as Main Avenue. Most were built between 1883 and 1950 as masonry clad replacements for earlier buildings on the same sites. These buildings range from one to two stories in height, and all but one is faced with brick. In addition to the older Commercial Vernacular form, Queen Anne style, and Twentieth Century Commercial style buildings that make up the bulk of the district’s resources, the district also includes a fine Neoclassical Revival style former Bank of West De Pere, located at 371 Main Avenue.

PROPERTY FEATURES
Period of Significance:1835-1950
Area of Significance:Architecture
Applicable Criteria:Architecture/Engineering
Historic Use:Commerce/Trade: Business
Historic Use:Commerce/Trade: Financial Institution
Historic Use:Commerce/Trade: Restaurant
Architectural Style:Late Victorian
Architectural Style:Late 19th And Early 20th Century American Movements
Architectural Style:Classical Revival
Resource Type:District
Architect:Thomsen Brothers
DESIGNATIONS
Historic Status:Listed in the National Register
Historic Status:Listed in the State Register
National Register Listing Date:02/03/2010
State Register Listing Date:07/17/2009
NUMBER OF RESOURCES WITHIN PROPERTY
Number of Contributing Buildings:14
Number of Contributing Sites:0
Number of Contributing Structures:0
Number of Contributing Objects:0
Number of Non-Contributing Sites:0
Number of Non-Contributing Structures:0
Number of Non-Contributing Objects:0
RECORD LOCATION
National Register and State Register of Historic Places, Division of Historic Preservation, Wisconsin Historical Society, Madison, Wisconsin

How to Cite

For the purposes of a bibliography entry or footnote, follow this model:

National Register of Historic Places Citation
National Register of Historic Places, "Historic Name", "Town", "County", "State", "Reference Number".

Have Questions?

If you didn't find the National Register listing you were looking for or have other questions about the National Register, please email us and we can help: