Wisconsin Historical Society

National or State Registers Record

Generally bounded by West Third St., South Walnut Ave., West Fourth St., and South Chestnut Ave.

National or State Register of Historic Places
Generally bounded by West Third St., South Walnut Ave., West Fourth St., and South Chestnut Ave. | National or State Registers Record | Wisconsin Historical Society
NAMES
Historic Name:Upham House Historic District
Reference Number:08000753
PROPERTY LOCATION
Location (Address):Generally bounded by West Third St., South Walnut Ave., West Fourth St., and South Chestnut Ave.
County:Wood
City/Village:Marshfield
Township:
SUMMARY
Upham House Historic District
Roughly bounded by West Third Street, South Walnut Avenue, West Fourth Street, and South Chestnut Avenue, Marshfield, Wood County
Dates of contributing buildings: 1880-1936

What was to become the city of Marshfield began in 1872 when Louis and Frank Rivers built a hotel to serve the Wisconsin Central Railroad, which was pushing a line through this location to serve the exploding north woods lumber industry. Thereafter, transportation and lumber would be the principal ingredients in the early growth of the community. One of the first to take advantage of this mix was William H. Upham, a Civil War veteran and lumberman who, in 1878, built the first sawmill in the new hamlet. Not surprisingly, the combination of a sawmill and a railroad proved to be a potent one and, by 1884, Marshfield's population had jumped to 2000, it had become a city, and Upham, who would later be elected Governor of Wisconsin, was the owner of one of the biggest industrial enterprises in this part of the state.

The Upham House Historic District includes the three oldest houses in the city. The oldest of these is the Gov. William H. Upham house (212 W. Third St.), built in 1880. This excellent Italianate style house was listed individually in the NRHP in 1976 and it is now a house museum operated by the North Wood County Historical Society. Nearly as old is the Italianate style home of Upham's nephew, Frank R. Upham (201 W. Fourth St.), built in 1882. Other Upham family houses in the district include the first and second Merrill H. Wheeler houses, located back-to-back at 206 W. Third St. and 207 W. Fourth St., and built in 1880 and 1895-1900, respectively, for William Upham's brother-in-law. Yet another associated house is the American Foursquare Charles J. Sparr House at 215 W. Fourth St., built for William Upham's accountant. Still another district building with Upham family associations is the former First Presbyterian Church (208 S. Chestnut Ave.) This fine Neo-Gothic Revival style brick and stone church was built in 1924 to a design by Indianapolis, Indiana, architect A. A. Honeywell, and it is this congregation's third church to occupy this site. The first church was built in 1878 and the Upham family, who were members, bore most of its cost. Today, the building houses the Chestnut Avenue Center for the Arts.

Most of the properties in the district are private homes. Please respect the rights and privacy of the residents.

PROPERTY FEATURES
Period of Significance:1880-1936
Area of Significance:Architecture
Applicable Criteria:Architecture/Engineering
Historic Use:Religion: Religious Facility
Historic Use:Domestic: Single Dwelling
Architectural Style:Italianate
Architectural Style:Bungalow/Craftsman
Architectural Style:Late Gothic Revival
Architectural Style:Queen Anne
Architectural Style:Colonial Revival
Resource Type:District
Architect:Honeywell, A. A.
Architect:Vannedom, T. F.
DESIGNATIONS
Historic Status:Listed in the National Register
Historic Status:Listed in the State Register
National Register Listing Date:07/30/2008
State Register Listing Date:01/18/2008
NUMBER OF RESOURCES WITHIN PROPERTY
Number of Contributing Buildings:12
Number of Contributing Sites:0
Number of Contributing Structures:0
Number of Contributing Objects:0
Number of Non-Contributing Sites:0
Number of Non-Contributing Structures:0
Number of Non-Contributing Objects:0
RECORD LOCATION
National Register and State Register of Historic Places, Division of Historic Preservation, Wisconsin Historical Society, Madison, Wisconsin

How to Cite

For the purposes of a bibliography entry or footnote, follow this model:

National Register of Historic Places Citation
National Register of Historic Places, "Historic Name", "Town", "County", "State", "Reference Number".

Have Questions?

If you didn't find the National Register listing you were looking for or have other questions about the National Register, please email us and we can help: