Wisconsin Historical Society

National or State Registers Record

519 Third Street

National or State Register of Historic Places
519 Third Street | National or State Registers Record | Wisconsin Historical Society
NAMES
Historic Name:Perry, Melvin W. and Mary, House
Reference Number:07001461
PROPERTY LOCATION
Location (Address):519 Third Street
County:Kewaunee
City/Village:Algoma
Township:
SUMMARY
Melvin W. and Mary Perry House
519 Third Street, Algoma, Kewaunee County
Architect: W.W. De Long
Date of Completion: 1909

Melvin Perry, entrepreneur, industrialist, politician and philanthropist, was a central figure in the development of Algoma. Perry occupied this house from its completion in 1909 until his death in 1951. His establishment of the Ahnapee Veneer and Seating Company in 1892 coincided with the arrival of the first railroad in Algoma. Both developments sparked the city's industrial rise. The company eventually became the largest employer in the city. It produced veneer seating and paneling, as well as furniture for commercial use. Perry also helped found and lead the Algoma Net Company in 1914 and the Algoma Foundry and Machine Company in 1922. Additionally, he served as city alderman, mayor, and Wisconsin State senator. He was active on the school board and school building committee. He played an important role in the conversion of an old factory into a community center, and he deeded two blocks of his own property to establish a park and athletic field. The prominence of the Perry house reflects the important role that Mel Perry played Algoma's growth.

The Perry house incorporates elements of both Colonial Revival and Shingle Style architecture. The exterior is composed of weatherboard siding on the first floor with cut cedar shingles covering the second floor and dormers. The fa├žade is dominated by a two-story gambrel-gabled projection, sitting above two pairs of Ionic columns. The entry porch is framed by a large, semi-circular, stone arch. Many windows feature leaded clear beveled glass. The house underwent a significant remodel in 1920, which included the addition of two sunrooms. A garage that harmonized with the style of the house was added in 1923. The building's interior showcases decorative elements produced by Perry's own company, functioning as an advertisement for his products. Many of the downstairs rooms utilize mahogany Ionic columns, oak or mahogany veneer paneling, and decorative maple and oak flooring.

Today the Perry house functions as a bed and breakfast. Please respect the privacy of the residents and guests.

PROPERTY FEATURES
Period of Significance:1909-1951
Area of Significance:Industry
Applicable Criteria:Person
Historic Use:Domestic: Single Dwelling
Architectural Style:Colonial Revival
Resource Type:Building
Architect:Pies, Frank (builder)
Architect:De Long, W.W. (architect)
DESIGNATIONS
Historic Status:Listed in the National Register
Historic Status:Listed in the State Register
National Register Listing Date:01/23/2008
State Register Listing Date:07/20/2007
NUMBER OF RESOURCES WITHIN PROPERTY
Number of Contributing Buildings:1
Number of Contributing Sites:0
Number of Contributing Structures:0
Number of Contributing Objects:0
Number of Non-Contributing Sites:0
Number of Non-Contributing Structures:0
Number of Non-Contributing Objects:0
RECORD LOCATION
National Register and State Register of Historic Places, Division of Historic Preservation, Wisconsin Historical Society, Madison, Wisconsin

How to Cite

For the purposes of a bibliography entry or footnote, follow this model:

National Register of Historic Places Citation
National Register of Historic Places, "Historic Name", "Town", "County", "State", "Reference Number".

Have Questions?

If you didn't find the National Register listing you were looking for or have other questions about the National Register, please email us and we can help: