Wisconsin Historical Society

National or State Registers Record

Generally bounded by Erie Avenue, North 6th Street, Ontario Avenue, and North 7th Street

National or State Register of Historic Places
Generally bounded by Erie Avenue, North 6th Street, Ontario Avenue, and North 7th Street | National or State Registers Record | Wisconsin Historical Society
NAMES
Historic Name:Downtown Churches Historic District
Reference Number:10000052
PROPERTY LOCATION
Location (Address):Generally bounded by Erie Avenue, North 6th Street, Ontario Avenue, and North 7th Street
County:Sheboygan
City/Village:Sheboygan
Township:
SUMMARY
Downtown Churches Historic District
Generally bounded by Erie Avenue, N 6th Street, Ontario Avenue, and N 7th Street, Sheboygan, Sheboygan County
Architects: Edgar A. Stubenrauch; William Russell West
Dates of construction of contributing buildings: 1871-1968

Situated between the downtown business district and a residential area, the Downtown Churches Historic District is a well defined cluster of religious buildings. The four congregations located in the district represent four distinct faiths, each with a medium-size, well-designed, and well-maintained church building. The churches are representative of the prevailing architectural styles of their time, including High Victorian Gothic, late Gothic Revival, elements of the Tudor Revival, and Contemporary architectural styles, reflecting a century of religious architecture.

As a group, there is a distinct pattern of features that is common to all of the contributing resources. The churches are of similar size and scale; they are highly irregular, vertical and picturesque in their massing. All of the walls are of masonry, whether it is brick or stone or a combination; and, the walls are punctuated with stained glass windows. The buildings are topped with steeply pitched roofs, which are reflected on the interior with dramatically tall ceilings supported by heavy wooden timbers.

Of particular note, Grace Episcopal Church is significant for its formation of Boy Scout Troop 1 in 1911. It was the first Boy Scout troop in the state, formed just one year after the formation of the National Boy Scouts of America.

The buildings are open during posted service hours.

PROPERTY FEATURES
Period of Significance:1871-19681911
Area of Significance:Architecture
Area of Significance:Social History
Applicable Criteria:Architecture/Engineering
Applicable Criteria:Event
Historic Use:Religion: Religious Facility
Historic Use:Religion: Church Related Residence
Architectural Style:Tudor Revival
Architectural Style:Late Gothic Revival
Architectural Style:Greek Revival
Architectural Style:Modern Movement
Resource Type:District
Architect:Stubenrauch, Edgar A.
Architect:West, William Russell
DESIGNATIONS
Historic Status:Listed in the National Register
Historic Status:Listed in the State Register
National Register Listing Date:03/01/2010
State Register Listing Date:07/17/2009
NUMBER OF RESOURCES WITHIN PROPERTY
Number of Contributing Buildings:6
Number of Contributing Sites:0
Number of Contributing Structures:0
Number of Contributing Objects:0
Number of Non-Contributing Sites:0
Number of Non-Contributing Structures:0
Number of Non-Contributing Objects:0
RECORD LOCATION
National Register and State Register of Historic Places, Division of Historic Preservation, Wisconsin Historical Society, Madison, Wisconsin

How to Cite

For the purposes of a bibliography entry or footnote, follow this model:

National Register of Historic Places Citation
National Register of Historic Places, "Historic Name", "Town", "County", "State", "Reference Number".

Have Questions?

If you didn't find the National Register listing you were looking for or have other questions about the National Register, please email us and we can help: