Wisconsin Historical Society

National or State Registers Record

1313 Belknap St.

National or State Register of Historic Places
1313 Belknap St. | National or State Registers Record | Wisconsin Historical Society
NAMES
Historic Name:Douglas County Courthouse
Reference Number:82000664
PROPERTY LOCATION
Location (Address):1313 Belknap St.
County:Douglas
City/Village:Superior
Township:
SUMMARY
Douglas County Courthouse
1313 Belknap Street, Superior, Douglas County
Architect: Royer and Radcliffe
Dates of Construction: 1918-1919

When Douglas County was created out of LaPointe County in 1854, legislation specified the precise site of the county seat. However, when this location became so cramped that many county employees had to rent offices in the city's business district, state legislators allowed a referendum in 1916 to determine if the county seat could be relocated to a new site. Citizens voted overwhelmingly for the new site and Superior architect E.S. Radcliffe and J.M. Royer of Urbana, Illinois immediately started working on a building placed on an entire block in the center of the City of Superior.

The three-story building, hailed the "finest Courthouse in the Northwest" in 1918, is an immense Neoclassical structure. The exterior, constructed with Bedford limestone, contain an Ionic colonnade and a parapet featuring griffins and shields. The elaborate interior, faced with Italian Pavanazza marble, features 600 pound chandeliers, bronze clocks that line the corridors, balconies on upper levels, and leaded glass skylights ornamented with stained glass.

The Courthouse is open during normal business hours.

PROPERTY FEATURES
Period of Significance:1900-1924
Area of Significance:Architecture
Applicable Criteria:Architecture/Engineering
Historic Use:Government: Courthouse
Architectural Style:Classical Revival
Architectural Style:Other
Resource Type:Building
Architect:Royer & Radcliff
DESIGNATIONS
Historic Status:Listed in the National Register
Historic Status:Listed in the State Register
National Register Listing Date:03/09/1982
State Register Listing Date:01/01/1989
NUMBER OF RESOURCES WITHIN PROPERTY
Number of Contributing Buildings:1
Number of Contributing Sites:0
Number of Contributing Structures:0
Number of Contributing Objects:0
Number of Non-Contributing Sites:0
Number of Non-Contributing Structures:0
Number of Non-Contributing Objects:0
RECORD LOCATION
National Register and State Register of Historic Places, Division of Historic Preservation, Wisconsin Historical Society, Madison, Wisconsin

How to Cite

For the purposes of a bibliography entry or footnote, follow this model:

National Register of Historic Places Citation
National Register of Historic Places, "Historic Name", "Town", "County", "State", "Reference Number".

Have Questions?

If you didn't find the National Register listing you were looking for or have other questions about the National Register, please email us and we can help: