Wisconsin Historical Society

National or State Registers Record

100-400 Bayley Ave, 400 Blk. S Court St, 150, 210, 270 Rountree Ave & 65 Mitchell Ave

National or State Register of Historic Places
100-400 Bayley Ave, 400 Blk. S Court St, 150, 210, 270 Rountree Ave & 65 Mitchell Ave | National or State Registers Record | Wisconsin Historical Society
NAMES
Historic Name:Bayley Avenue Historic District
Reference Number:07000708
PROPERTY LOCATION
Location (Address):100-400 Bayley Ave, 400 Blk. S Court St, 150, 210, 270 Rountree Ave & 65 Mitchell Ave
County:Grant
City/Village:Platteville
Township:
SUMMARY
Bayley Avenue Historic District
The 100-400 block of Bayley Avenue, 400-480 S. Court Street, 65 Mitchell Avenue, and 150-270 Rountree Avenue, Platteville, Grant County
Dates of construction of contributing buildings: 1853-1940

Platteville's founder John H. Rountree originally owned all the land associated with the Bayley Avenue Historic District. Rountree's Greek Revival style house, located at 150 Rountree Avenue, was completed in 1853 and is the oldest building in the District. Both this house and all the surrounding land remained in Rountree's possession until his death in 1890. His heirs then platted it as the Homestead Addition; because it was located just to the south of Platteville's downtown commercial district, lots sold quickly. Within five years, almost half of the houses that make up the Bayley Avenue Historic District had been built, most of them located in the north half of the District closest to the downtown. More houses were built between 1896 and 1909, years during which the revitalization of the local mining industry greatly increased Platteville's population. By 1916, all but three of the District's buildings had been completed.

Nearly half of the district's houses are examples of the Queen Anne style. Built between 1890 and 1909, they tend to sit on the larger lots on the high ground at the two ends of the District. One of the District's most impressive houses is the W. N. Smith House, built at 155 Bayley Avenue in 1915-16 for the owner of Platteville's Vinegar Hill Mining Co. The Chicago firm of Miller, Fullenwider & Dowling designed this brick and stucco Craftsman Style house. The firm also designed Platteville's Craftsman Style Carnegie Library at 190 Market Street.

The houses in this district are private residences. Please respect the rights and privacy of the residents.

PROPERTY FEATURES
Period of Significance:1853-1940
Area of Significance:Architecture
Applicable Criteria:Architecture/Engineering
Historic Use:Landscape: Park
Historic Use:Domestic: Single Dwelling
Architectural Style:Bungalow/Craftsman
Architectural Style:Queen Anne
Resource Type:District
Architect:Miller, Fullenwider & Dowling
DESIGNATIONS
Historic Status:Listed in the National Register
Historic Status:Listed in the State Register
National Register Listing Date:07/19/2007
State Register Listing Date:04/27/2007
NUMBER OF RESOURCES WITHIN PROPERTY
Number of Contributing Buildings:27
Number of Contributing Sites:1
Number of Contributing Structures:0
Number of Contributing Objects:2
Number of Non-Contributing Sites:1
Number of Non-Contributing Structures:0
Number of Non-Contributing Objects:0
RECORD LOCATION
National Register and State Register of Historic Places, Division of Historic Preservation, Wisconsin Historical Society, Madison, Wisconsin

How to Cite

For the purposes of a bibliography entry or footnote, follow this model:

National Register of Historic Places Citation
National Register of Historic Places, "Historic Name", "Town", "County", "State", "Reference Number".

Have Questions?

If you didn't find the National Register listing you were looking for or have other questions about the National Register, please email us and we can help: