Wisconsin Historical Society

National or State Registers Record

Circa 1800 South Central Avenue

National or State Register of Historic Places
Circa 1800 South Central Avenue | National or State Registers Record | Wisconsin Historical Society
NAMES
Historic Name:Soo Line Steam Locomotive 2442
Reference Number:09000310
PROPERTY LOCATION
Location (Address):Circa 1800 South Central Avenue
County:Wood
City/Village:Marshfield
Township:
SUMMARY
Soo Line Steam Locomotive 2442
Wildwood Park, Marshfield, Wood County
Builder: American Locomotive Company
Construction date: 1911

The city of Marshfield owes its existence to the Wisconsin Central Railroad In 1871, the railroad chose this site, which was located in the middle of its route, as the place to erect a supply depot and control center. Along with the depot, the Railroad also built a log hotel to house the men who were building the route, and these modest buildings were the beginning of what quickly became a thriving manufacturing center that the railroad named "Marshfield."

In 1890, the tracks of the Chicago, St. Paul, Minneapolis & Omaha Railroad reached Marshfield as well, and by 1893 more than 1000 freight cars and 28 passenger trains were passing through the city every day. By 1904, Marshfield had become an important regional manufacturing and transportation center that was nicknamed "Hub City" because of its exceptional rail facilities. While steam locomotive service ended in 1956, long freight trains pulled by diesel engine locomotives continue to pass through Marshfield on a daily basis even today.

Soo Line Steam Locomotive No. 2442 is now one of the very few surviving resources historically associated with Marshfield's steam locomotive days. No. 2442 was built in May of 1911 by the Schenectady, New York plant of the American Locomotive Company (Alco), and it is an excellent and now very rare surviving example of this company's early twentieth century 2-8-0 Consolidation type steam locomotives. No. 2442 was constructed for the Minneapolis, St. Paul & Sault Ste. Marie Railroad (Soo Line) and it was operated by the Wisconsin Central Railroad, which was leased to the Soo Line beginning in 1909. No. 2442 was one of 15 identical locomotives that the Soo Line purchased in 1911, but it is now the only survivor of this group. No. 2442 hauled freight trains in Marshfield and elsewhere in Wisconsin from 1911 until November of 1956, when it was donated to the City of Marshfield. Since then, the locomotive and its tender have been restored and they are now on static display in Marshfield's Wildwood Park. The locomotive may be seen at the park.

PROPERTY FEATURES
Period of Significance:1911
Area of Significance:Engineering
Applicable Criteria:Architecture/Engineering
Historic Use:Transportation: Rail-Related
Architectural Style:Other
Resource Type:Structure
Architect:American Locomotive Company
DESIGNATIONS
Historic Status:Listed in the National Register
Historic Status:Listed in the State Register
National Register Listing Date:05/13/2009
State Register Listing Date:07/18/2009
NUMBER OF RESOURCES WITHIN PROPERTY
Number of Contributing Buildings:0
Number of Contributing Sites:0
Number of Contributing Structures:2
Number of Contributing Objects:0
Number of Non-Contributing Sites:0
Number of Non-Contributing Structures:2
Number of Non-Contributing Objects:0
RECORD LOCATION
National Register and State Register of Historic Places, Division of Historic Preservation, Wisconsin Historical Society, Madison, Wisconsin

How to Cite

For the purposes of a bibliography entry or footnote, follow this model:

National Register of Historic Places Citation
National Register of Historic Places, "Historic Name", "Town", "County", "State", "Reference Number".

Have Questions?

If you didn't find the National Register listing you were looking for or have other questions about the National Register, please email us and we can help: