E5116 US Highway 14 | National or State Registers Record | Wisconsin Historical Society

National or State Registers Record

E5116 US Highway 14

National or State Register of Historic Places
E5116 US Highway 14 | National or State Registers Record | Wisconsin Historical Society
Historic Name:Rest Haven Motel
Reference Number:11000478
Location (Address):E5116 US Highway 14
City/Village:Spring Green
Rest Haven Motel
E5116 United States Highway 14, Spring Green, Sauk County
Architect: Jesse C. Caraway
Construction Date: 1952

The Rest Haven Motel was built in 1952 just outside the village of Spring Green. It catered to the greatly increased automobile traffic and automobile-related tourism that was transforming the American lifestyle following the end of World War II. The original owners were Mr. and Mrs. John Michels and their architect was Jesse C. Caraway. Caraway was one of the earliest members of Frank Lloyd Wright's Taliesin Fellowship, which was located some three miles south of Spring Green across the Wisconsin River at Taliesin, Wright's Wisconsin home. Caraway's motel design adapted a number of features that are closely associated with Wright's Usonian residential designs; these were developed during the years that Caraway was at Taliesin. The typical Usonian house features a visually prominent central core that contains the house’s utilities, its kitchen, and its principal living spaces. Attached to this core are one or sometimes two bedroom wings. Caraway’s design for the Rest Haven also features a visually prominent central core, which in this case contains the motel's office and owner’s living quarters, and it also has two wings attached to this core at a 120 degree angle. These contain the motel's 11 rental units. In addition, this V-plan building has broad cantilevered canopies that shelter its exterior walls, and these canopies are carried through into the interior of the rental units. The Rest Haven Motel is also a very early example of a commercial building that was completely clad in the new aluminum siding that would soon become ubiquitous throughout the United States. Reynolds Metals supplied the siding as part of an advertising campaign whose purpose was to showcase what in 1952 was still a very new building material.

The Rest Haven Motel has had several other owners. It continues to function as a motel and it is now called the Usonian Inn. It is open during normal business hours.

Period of Significance:1952
Area of Significance:Architecture
Applicable Criteria:Architecture/Engineering
Historic Use:Domestic: Secondary Structure
Historic Use:Domestic: Hotel
Architectural Style:Modern Movement
Resource Type:Building
Architect:Kraemer Brothers (builder)
Architect:Caraway, Jesse C.
Historic Status:Listed in the National Register
Historic Status:Listed in the State Register
National Register Listing Date:07/20/2011
State Register Listing Date:02/18/2011
Number of Contributing Buildings:2
Number of Contributing Sites:0
Number of Contributing Structures:0
Number of Contributing Objects:0
Number of Non-Contributing Sites:0
Number of Non-Contributing Structures:0
Number of Non-Contributing Objects:0
National Register and State Register of Historic Places, State Historic Preservation Office, Wisconsin Historical Society, Madison, Wisconsin

How to Cite

For the purposes of a bibliography entry or footnote, follow this model:

National Register of Historic Places Citation
National Register of Historic Places, "Historic Name", "Town", "County", "State", "Reference Number".

Have Questions?

If you didn't find the National Register listing you were looking for or have other questions about the National Register, please email us and we can help: