Wisconsin Historical Society

National or State Registers Record

20, 30, 40, 60, 120 &121 Antes Dr; 321, 340, 359, 360, 363,

National or State Register of Historic Places
20, 30, 40, 60, 120 &121 Antes Dr; 321, 340, 359, 360, 363, | National or State Registers Record | Wisconsin Historical Society
NAMES
Historic Name:Leonard-Leota Park
Reference Number:12000610
PROPERTY LOCATION
Location (Address):20, 30, 40, 60, 120 &121 Antes Dr; 321, 340, 359, 360, 363,
County:Rock
City/Village:Evansville
Township:
SUMMARY
Leonard-Leota Park
Evansville, Rock County
Dates of contributing resources: 1912-1959

The 8-acre Leonard Park was developed in 1883 as Evansville's first municipal park. It occupies high ground overlooking the 50-acre Lake Leota and adjacent Leota Park, with which it was combined in 1923. Lake Leota was created in 1847 when Allen's Creek was dammed to provide water power for Evansville's first mills. This lake and the land surrounding it soon became a favorite pleasure ground for Evansville citizens and it remained so throughout the nineteenth century. In 1900, the dam was removed and the lake disappeared. Finally, in 1923, citizen agitation succeeded in getting a new dam built and the lake restored. In conjunction, the City of Evansville bought additional parcels of land for parkland development. Little was done to develop this land until the Great Depression, which brought federal aid to Evansville in the form of CWA, FERA, and WPA work relief funding. These new funding sources made possible the landscaping of Leota Park and the construction of a number of fine limestone Rustic Style buildings and structures and other amenities within its boundaries, including the rip-rapping of the entire course of Allen's Creek within the park. The result is a still intact designed landscape that is a fine example of the numerous Rustic Style projects funded by the federal government during the Depression period.

Leonard-Leota Park is still actively used today and it is open to the public.

PROPERTY FEATURES
Period of Significance:1883-19611923-1940
Area of Significance:Architecture
Area of Significance:Community Planning And Development
Applicable Criteria:Architecture/Engineering
Applicable Criteria:Event
Historic Use:Landscape: Park
Architectural Style:Other
Resource Type:District
DESIGNATIONS
Historic Status:Listed in the State Register
Historic Status:Listed in the National Register
National Register Listing Date:9/4/2012 12:00:00 AM
State Register Listing Date:8/19/2011 12:00:00 AM
NUMBER OF RESOURCES WITHIN PROPERTY
Number of Contributing Buildings:8
Number of Contributing Sites:1
Number of Contributing Structures:18
Number of Contributing Objects:2
Number of Non-Contributing Sites:1
Number of Non-Contributing Structures:18
Number of Non-Contributing Objects:0
RECORD LOCATION
National Register and State Register of Historic Places, Division of Historic Preservation, Wisconsin Historical Society, Madison, Wisconsin

How to Cite

For the purposes of a bibliography entry or footnote, follow this model:

National Register of Historic Places Citation
National Register of Historic Places, "Historic Name", "Town", "County", "State", "Reference Number".

Have Questions?

If you didn't find the National Register listing you were looking for or have other questions about the National Register, please email us and we can help: