Wisconsin Historical Society

National or State Registers Record

425 Cherry Street

National or State Register of Historic Places
425 Cherry Street | National or State Registers Record | Wisconsin Historical Society
NAMES
Historic Name:Christ Episcopal Church Complex
Reference Number:12000852
PROPERTY LOCATION
Location (Address):425 Cherry Street
County:Brown
City/Village:Green Bay
Township:
SUMMARY
Christ Episcopal Church Complex
425 Cherry Street, Green Bay, Brown County
Dates of contributing buildings: 1900, 1911, 1957
Architect: George Rockwell

The Christ Episcopal Church Complex is located in downtown Green Bay and its first congregation's history is closely tied with the city’s early development. The Christ Church parish was formally incorporated in the fall of 1829 and, in 1831, Daniel Whitney presented the congregation with the current site. On August 9, 1838, Bishop Kemper laid the cornerstone for a new frame church building, which was completed in 1839. The first building stood until July 1898 when it burned. The vestry accepted the architect George A. Rockwell’s design for the new stone church on February 23, 1899 and the first service was the following year on Easter Day.

The complex consists of the church, built 1899-1900; the rectory, built 1911; the school, built 1956-1957; and the 1990 parish hall. The church is an example of the variant of the Gothic Revival referred to as Neo-Gothic Revival or Late Gothic Revival. The use of stone as a building material allows for the full expression of the solidity of the style and the construction of large towers and buttresses. The church’s interior displays elaborate woodwork drawn from English Gothic precedents and is noted for its open roof, with its tracery and hammer beam design. Also notable is the elaborate woodwork and carved panels found in the rectory’s small chapel.

In 2005, the Divine Temple Church of God in Christ purchased the church and associated buildings; the complex continues in its historic use.

PROPERTY FEATURES
Period of Significance:1900-1957
Area of Significance:Architecture
Applicable Criteria:Architecture/Engineering
Historic Use:Religion: Religious Facility
Historic Use:Religion: Church School
Historic Use:Religion: Church Related Residence
Architectural Style:Late Gothic Revival
Architectural Style:Late 19th And Early 20th Century American Movements
Architectural Style:Modern Movement
Resource Type:Building
Architect:Rockwell, George
DESIGNATIONS
Historic Status:Listed in the State Register
Historic Status:Listed in the National Register
National Register Listing Date:10/9/2012 12:00:00 AM
State Register Listing Date:2/17/2012 12:00:00 AM
NUMBER OF RESOURCES WITHIN PROPERTY
Number of Contributing Buildings:3
Number of Contributing Sites:0
Number of Contributing Structures:0
Number of Contributing Objects:0
Number of Non-Contributing Sites:0
Number of Non-Contributing Structures:0
Number of Non-Contributing Objects:0
RECORD LOCATION
National Register and State Register of Historic Places, Division of Historic Preservation, Wisconsin Historical Society, Madison, Wisconsin

How to Cite

For the purposes of a bibliography entry or footnote, follow this model:

National Register of Historic Places Citation
National Register of Historic Places, "Historic Name", "Town", "County", "State", "Reference Number".

Have Questions?

If you didn't find the National Register listing you were looking for or have other questions about the National Register, please email us and we can help: