Wisconsin Historical Society

National or State Registers Record

522 Chapple Avenue

National or State Register of Historic Places
522 Chapple Avenue | National or State Registers Record | Wisconsin Historical Society
NAMES
Historic Name:Wilmarth, Lewis C. and Caroline, House
Reference Number:12001252
PROPERTY LOCATION
Location (Address):522 Chapple Avenue
County:Ashland
City/Village:Ashland
Township:
SUMMARY
Lewis C. and Caroline Wilmarth House
522 Chapple Avenue, Ashland, Ashland County
Construction Date: 1885, 1918, 1957

The Wilmarth House/Ashland General Hospital is situated on the northern edge of one of the city's premier residential neighborhoods, five blocks uphill from the Chequamegon Bay of Lake Superior. The current building represents two major construction periods: the 1885 mansion and the 1918 hospital wing.

The original house is a combination of the Georgian and Neoclassical styles of architecture, a unique concoction exemplifying the character of its owner and possible architect and the unrestrained American spirit of the Gilded Age. The red brick building is accented by cut sandstone quoins, stringcourses, sills and lintels, and a heavy wood entablature. The north two-story portico is defined by four colossal columns of the Corinthian order. The interior has elaborate woodwork, fireplace trim and doors and ornate plaster cornices and ceiling relief, the style of which varies from room to room and floor to floor. Built by Ashland's first banker, Lewis Cass Wilmarth, the 1885 residence retains most of its architectural detail in near original condition, despite functioning as something other than family home for most of its existence.

Ashland General Hospital was founded and funded by local people concerned for the health needs of their fellow citizens in a dramatic 10-day campaign. Between 1917 and 1972, the house served primarily as the entrance and administrative space for the larger ward and treatment wing added to the building's east side. The 1918 hospital and the 1957 elevator extension were remolded in 1999 for their current use as multi-family housing.

The building is privately owned. Please respect the rights and privacy of the property owners and residents.

PROPERTY FEATURES
Period of Significance:1885-1918
Area of Significance:Architecture
Applicable Criteria:Architecture/Engineering
Historic Use:Domestic: Single Dwelling
Historic Use:Health Care: Hospital
Architectural Style:Classical Revival
Architectural Style:Colonial Revival
Resource Type:Building
Architect:unknown
DESIGNATIONS
Historic Status:Listed in the National Register
Historic Status:Listed in the State Register
National Register Listing Date:1/29/2013 12:00:00 AM
State Register Listing Date:11/11/2011 12:00:00 AM
NUMBER OF RESOURCES WITHIN PROPERTY
Number of Contributing Buildings:1
Number of Contributing Sites:0
Number of Contributing Structures:0
Number of Contributing Objects:0
Number of Non-Contributing Sites:0
Number of Non-Contributing Structures:0
Number of Non-Contributing Objects:0
RECORD LOCATION
National Register and State Register of Historic Places, Division of Historic Preservation, Wisconsin Historical Society, Madison, Wisconsin

How to Cite

For the purposes of a bibliography entry or footnote, follow this model:

National Register of Historic Places Citation
National Register of Historic Places, "Historic Name", "Town", "County", "State", "Reference Number".

Have Questions?

If you didn't find the National Register listing you were looking for or have other questions about the National Register, please email us and we can help: