Wisconsin Historical Society

National or State Registers Record

W5539 and W5565 County Road MM

National or State Register of Historic Places
W5539 and W5565 County Road MM | National or State Registers Record | Wisconsin Historical Society
NAMES
Historic Name:Oehler Mill Complex
Reference Number:13000314
PROPERTY LOCATION
Location (Address):W5539 and W5565 County Road MM
County:La Crosse
City/Village:
Township:Shelby
SUMMARY
Oehler Mill Complex
W5539 and W5566 County Highway MM, Town of Shelby, La Crosse County
Dates of contributing buildings: 1862-1907

Valentine and Gottfried Oehler, recent immigrants from Germany, built the Oehler flour mill in 1862. This mill is now a rare example of what was once a common and highly important resource: the rural flour and grist mill. The current sandstone and brick mill is the second mill the brothers constructed at this location on Mormon Creek. The first, constructed as a sawmill in 1857, was converted into a flour and grist mill in 1858. The Oehler Mill closed in 1918.

The new mill's success allowed the brothers to construct new houses. Gottfried built a house just north of the mill in 1884; Valentine built a house just to the south around 1882. Both of these Italianate style houses are of brick furnished by the Mormon Coulee Brick Yard, which had been established less than a mile to the north in 1881 and which continued producing brick until 1958.

These buildings are privately owned and are not open to the public. Please respect the rights and privacy of the residents.

PROPERTY FEATURES
Period of Significance:1862-1907
Area of Significance:Architecture
Applicable Criteria:Architecture/Engineering
Historic Use:Industry/Processing/Extraction: Manufacturing Facility
Historic Use:Domestic: Single Dwelling
Historic Use:Agriculture/Subsistence: Storage
Architectural Style:Italianate
Architectural Style:Late Victorian
Resource Type:Building
Architect:unknown
DESIGNATIONS
Historic Status:Listed in the State Register
Historic Status:Listed in the National Register
National Register Listing Date:05/22/2013
State Register Listing Date:02/17/2012
NUMBER OF RESOURCES WITHIN PROPERTY
Number of Contributing Buildings:4
Number of Contributing Sites:0
Number of Contributing Structures:1
Number of Contributing Objects:0
Number of Non-Contributing Sites:0
Number of Non-Contributing Structures:1
Number of Non-Contributing Objects:0
RECORD LOCATION
National Register and State Register of Historic Places, Division of Historic Preservation, Wisconsin Historical Society, Madison, Wisconsin

How to Cite

For the purposes of a bibliography entry or footnote, follow this model:

National Register of Historic Places Citation
National Register of Historic Places, "Historic Name", "Town", "County", "State", "Reference Number".

Have Questions?

If you didn't find the National Register listing you were looking for or have other questions about the National Register, please email us and we can help: