Wisconsin Historical Society

National or State Registers Record

1819 Lyndale Avenue

National or State Register of Historic Places
1819 Lyndale Avenue | National or State Registers Record | Wisconsin Historical Society
NAMES
Historic Name:Borton, Einar and Alice, House
Reference Number:13000541
PROPERTY LOCATION
Location (Address):1819 Lyndale Avenue
County:Eau Claire
City/Village:Eau Claire
Township:
SUMMARY
Einar and Alice Borton House
1819 Lyndale Avenue, Eau Claire, Eau Claire County
Architect: Lustron Corporation
Construction Date: 1949

The Einar and Alice Borton house is a highly intact example of the prefabricated all-metal houses designed and built by the Lustron Corporation between 1948 and 1950. Up to the end of World War II, prefabricated houses in the United States had been largely confined to the pre-cut catalog houses sold by companies such as Sears-Roebuck, Aladdin, Montgomery-Ward and others. The unprecedented need for housing at the end of the war made it necessary for the federal government to explore more innovative, even radical ideas to meet the needs of the millions of returning veterans. Of those that were realized, none was more modern or more innovative than the Lustron Corporation built houses. Lustron houses are basically small, either two or three bedroom single-story Ranch Style houses that have steel frames, enameled steel panel exterior walls, and simple, shallow-pitched gable roofs sheathed in enameled steel shingles. Lustron interiors feature enameled steel panel walls; they have numerous factory provided built-in steel storage spaces, as well as factory-supplied sinks, and bathtubs. All of these elements are found in the Borton house.

Einar Borton was a teller at the American National Bank & Trust Co. in Eau Claire and the Lustron house he and his wife, Alice, bought was one of the four identical Westchester deluxe model two-bedroom Lustron houses built in Eau Claire between 1949 and 1950. The other three are located at 1831 Badger Ave. (one block south of the Borton house), at 1700 Fairway St., and in the 900 block of N. Hillcrest Parkway.

The Borton House is a private residence. Please respect the rights and privacy of the residents.

PROPERTY FEATURES
Period of Significance:1949
Area of Significance:Architecture
Applicable Criteria:Architecture/Engineering
Historic Use:Domestic: Single Dwelling
Architectural Style:Other
Resource Type:Building
Architect:Lustron Corporation
DESIGNATIONS
Historic Status:Listed in the National Register
Historic Status:Listed in the State Register
National Register Listing Date:07/23/2013
State Register Listing Date:11/16/2012
NUMBER OF RESOURCES WITHIN PROPERTY
Number of Contributing Buildings:1
Number of Contributing Sites:0
Number of Contributing Structures:0
Number of Contributing Objects:0
Number of Non-Contributing Sites:0
Number of Non-Contributing Structures:0
Number of Non-Contributing Objects:0
RECORD LOCATION
National Register and State Register of Historic Places, Division of Historic Preservation, Wisconsin Historical Society, Madison, Wisconsin

How to Cite

For the purposes of a bibliography entry or footnote, follow this model:

National Register of Historic Places Citation
National Register of Historic Places, "Historic Name", "Town", "County", "State", "Reference Number".

Have Questions?

If you didn't find the National Register listing you were looking for or have other questions about the National Register, please email us and we can help: