Wisconsin Historical Society

National or State Registers Record

623 Summit Avenue

National or State Register of Historic Places
623 Summit Avenue | National or State Registers Record | Wisconsin Historical Society
NAMES
Historic Name:Oconomowoc High School
Reference Number:13000588
PROPERTY LOCATION
Location (Address):623 Summit Avenue
County:Waukesha
City/Village:Oconomowoc
Township:
SUMMARY
Oconomowoc High School
623 Summit, Avenue, Oconomowoc, Waukesha County
Architects: Parkinson & Dockendorff, Eschweiler & Eschweiler, Ebling, Plunkett & Keymar
Dates of Consttruction: 1923, 1938, 1950, 1955, 1958

The former Oconomowoc High School is located on the east side of Oconomowoc and stands on the crest of a hill along the southwest side of Summit Avenue. It is an early twentieth century free-standing public high school that received additions that corresponded to community growth and to changes in curriculum and the defined needs of a high school building. When the building was completed, it was the first purpose-built high school building in Oconomowoc, reflecting a state-wide trend in the development of dedicated facilities for public secondary education.

The Oconomowoc High School opened in the fall of 1923, with enrollment that year reaching 279 students. Typical of high schools of the period, the building featured modern amenities such as central heating, electricity, and indoor plumbing. The spacious and well-lit classrooms were assigned by subject, with manual training and domestic arts in the basement, recitation rooms on the first floor, and a laboratory, chemistry room, commercial room, and typewriting room on the second floor. A large study room and library occupied the north end of the first floor, and the building included a dedicated gymnasium space that could also house assemblies, plays, and other school programs.

The prominent architectural firm of Parkinson & Dockendorff of La Crosse, known throughout the state for school projects, designed the original high school building. The main block of the school is constructed in the firm’s favored Collegiate Gothic style. The additions include an Art Deco-styled auditorium designed by Eschweiler & Eschweiler of Milwaukee in 1938-9 and a 1950 classroom addition by Milwaukee architects Ebling Plunkett & Keymar, who also designed the 1955 gymnasium and 1958 music department addition.

PROPERTY FEATURES
Period of Significance:1923-1965
Area of Significance:Education
Applicable Criteria:Event
Historic Use:Education: School
Architectural Style:Gothic Revival
Architectural Style:Late 19th And Early 20th Century American Movements
Architectural Style:Art Deco
Resource Type:Building
Architect:Parkinson & Dockendorff
Architect:Eschweiler & Eschweiler
DESIGNATIONS
Historic Status:Listed in the State Register
Historic Status:Listed in the National Register
National Register Listing Date:08/06/2013
State Register Listing Date:05/24/2013
NUMBER OF RESOURCES WITHIN PROPERTY
Number of Contributing Buildings:1
Number of Contributing Sites:0
Number of Contributing Structures:0
Number of Contributing Objects:0
Number of Non-Contributing Sites:0
Number of Non-Contributing Structures:0
Number of Non-Contributing Objects:0
RECORD LOCATION
National Register and State Register of Historic Places, Division of Historic Preservation, Wisconsin Historical Society, Madison, Wisconsin

How to Cite

For the purposes of a bibliography entry or footnote, follow this model:

National Register of Historic Places Citation
National Register of Historic Places, "Historic Name", "Town", "County", "State", "Reference Number".

Have Questions?

If you didn't find the National Register listing you were looking for or have other questions about the National Register, please email us and we can help: