Wisconsin Historical Society

National or State Registers Record

224 Mill Road

National or State Register of Historic Places
224 Mill Road | National or State Registers Record | Wisconsin Historical Society
NAMES
Historic Name:Klingholz, Charles and Herriette, House
Reference Number:13000587
PROPERTY LOCATION
Location (Address):224 Mill Road
County:Manitowoc
City/Village:
Township:Manitowoc Rapids
SUMMARY
Charles and Herriette Klingholz House
224 Mill Road, Town of Manitowoc Rapids, Manitowoc County
Date of construction: 1868

The History of Manitowoc County identified Charles Klingholz as a highly esteemed, prominent early German settler in the Town of Manitowoc Rapids. In the fall of 1851, once his family was suitably situated, Charles began the erection of a flouring mill along the south bank of the Manitowoc River. The mill was noted primarily for its rye and wheat flour, but also for its barley, millet seed, and oatmeal.

In 1867, Klingholz moved the mill downstream, nearer the village. Around this time he also constructed a new, grander house on the family farmstead. The brick house is an example of the Italianate style, seen in the tall arched windows, decorative window hoods, and the home’s hipped roof.

Herriette Klingholz passed away in July of 1876, which seemed to bring about several major changes at the Klingholz farmstead. In January of 1877, Charles Klingholz subdivided the land nearest the new house and mill into a plat known as Manitowoc Millvilla and sold the new house to his son and daughter-in-law, Oscar and Mathilda.

Charles Klingholz died in 1898. During his long life, he was noted for his leadership of the Town of Manitowoc Rapids and Manitowoc County, in the areas of government, transportation, finance, and agriculture.

PROPERTY FEATURES
Period of Significance:1868-1877
Area of Significance:Architecture
Area of Significance:Commerce
Applicable Criteria:Architecture/Engineering
Applicable Criteria:Person
Historic Use:Domestic: Single Dwelling
Historic Use:Agriculture/Subsistence: Animal Facility
Architectural Style:Italianate
Resource Type:Building
Architect:unknown
DESIGNATIONS
Historic Status:Listed in the State Register
Historic Status:Listed in the National Register
National Register Listing Date:08/06/2013
State Register Listing Date:08/27/2012
NUMBER OF RESOURCES WITHIN PROPERTY
Number of Contributing Buildings:1
Number of Contributing Sites:0
Number of Contributing Structures:0
Number of Contributing Objects:0
Number of Non-Contributing Sites:0
Number of Non-Contributing Structures:0
Number of Non-Contributing Objects:0
RECORD LOCATION
National Register and State Register of Historic Places, Division of Historic Preservation, Wisconsin Historical Society, Madison, Wisconsin

How to Cite

For the purposes of a bibliography entry or footnote, follow this model:

National Register of Historic Places Citation
National Register of Historic Places, "Historic Name", "Town", "County", "State", "Reference Number".

Have Questions?

If you didn't find the National Register listing you were looking for or have other questions about the National Register, please email us and we can help: