Wisconsin Historical Society

National or State Registers Record

4647 South Kinnickinnic Avenue

National or State Register of Historic Places
4647 South Kinnickinnic Avenue | National or State Registers Record | Wisconsin Historical Society
NAMES
Historic Name:Cudahy Chicago and NorthWestern Railway Depot
Reference Number:13000750
PROPERTY LOCATION
Location (Address):4647 South Kinnickinnic Avenue
County:Milwaukee
City/Village:Cudahy
Township:
SUMMARY
Cudahy Chicago and NorthWestern Railway Depot
4647 South Kinnickinnic Avenue, Cudahy, Milwaukee County, Wisconsin
Architect: J.B. Berry (Engineer’s Office, Wisconsin and Gelena Divisions, Chicago and NorthWestern Railway)
Dates of construction: 1892, 1907

In 1891, Patrick Cudahy and his brother John bought 700 acres of farmland south of Milwaukee to build a meatpacking plant. Cudahy anticipated growth around his new plant and lobbied the Chicago and NorthWestern Railway to build a new depot on its existing line near the site of the proposed Cudahy Brothers Company. Cudahy even donated the land on which to build the depot.

Chicago and NorthWestern began construction of the wood frame building in 1892. Elements of the Queen Anne style can be found throughout the depot, from the colored glass windows to the decorative exterior trim work. Initially only a passenger depot, it housed separate ladies' and men's waiting rooms. These waiting rooms flanked a central ticket/train control office with a bay window, providing a good view of the tracks.

The Cudahy Brothers Company was a success and the town flourished. Nearby Milwaukee provided a ready labor source and consumer market and soon other industries were setting up shop in Cudahy. The population doubled within a decade and the City of Cudahy was incorporated in 1906. The corresponding increase in passenger and freight traffic necessitated the construction of a freight addition in 1907, almost doubling the size of the depot.

The Cudahy Depot continued to serve the community as a transportation hub until the post-World War II decline in rail travel. Passenger service was discontinued in 1956. By the early 1970s, Chicago and NorthWestern had all but abandoned the station, but the newly formed Cudahy Historical Society fought to save it from demolition. They succeeded in their efforts and now own, operate, and maintain the depot as a museum of local history.

PROPERTY FEATURES
Period of Significance:1892-1956
Area of Significance:Transportation
Area of Significance:Architecture
Applicable Criteria:Event
Applicable Criteria:Architecture/Engineering
Historic Use:Transportation: Rail-Related
Architectural Style:Queen Anne
Resource Type:Building
Architect:J. B. Berry
DESIGNATIONS
Historic Status:Listed in the State Register
Historic Status:Listed in the National Register
National Register Listing Date:09/18/2013
State Register Listing Date:02/15/2013
NUMBER OF RESOURCES WITHIN PROPERTY
Number of Contributing Buildings:1
Number of Contributing Sites:0
Number of Contributing Structures:0
Number of Contributing Objects:1
Number of Non-Contributing Sites:0
Number of Non-Contributing Structures:0
Number of Non-Contributing Objects:0
RECORD LOCATION
National Register and State Register of Historic Places, Division of Historic Preservation, Wisconsin Historical Society, Madison, Wisconsin

How to Cite

For the purposes of a bibliography entry or footnote, follow this model:

National Register of Historic Places Citation
National Register of Historic Places, "Historic Name", "Town", "County", "State", "Reference Number".

Have Questions?

If you didn't find the National Register listing you were looking for or have other questions about the National Register, please email us and we can help: