Wisconsin Historical Society

National or State Registers Record

620 George Street

National or State Register of Historic Places
620 George Street | National or State Registers Record | Wisconsin Historical Society
NAMES
Historic Name:Baeten, John, Store Building
Reference Number:14000483
PROPERTY LOCATION
Location (Address):620 George Street
County:Brown
City/Village:De Pere
Township:
SUMMARY
John Baeten Store Building
620 George Street, De Pere, Brown County
Date of Construction: 1903

John Baeten, a prominent local merchant, operated his grocery and general merchandise business in this building from 1903 until 1917. Baeten's store was successful, so much so that he needed more space and constructed a one-story addition to the rear of the building in 1914. In 1917 John sold the business to his sons, Albert and Peter Baeten and his son-in-law, Ferdinand Van Dyck. The business continued under their leadership until 1943, then subsequent generations of the family maintained the store through the 1970s when it closed. The Baeten Store was a familiar fixture for multiple generations of De Pere residents due to the long tenure of the store at this location.

The Baeten Store Building is an excellent example of a Commercial Vernacular building. These are relatively simple buildings that are not architect-designed but have specific design characteristics that distinguish them in the commercial streetscape. Often two or three stories tall, the first floor is usually used for retail space while the upper floor(s) are often used for apartments. In this building, one of the second floor apartments was John Baeten's own. Other features typically found on this type of building include wood and cast iron storefronts with large display windows, regularly spaced upper story wood windows, and decoration limited to the main facade. The Baeten Store Building exhibits wall ornament in the form of brick corbeling, slightly projecting brick hoods over the windows and another row of simple brick corbels under the cornice. The cornice is pressed metal and features swag decoration across the length of the facade.

PROPERTY FEATURES
Period of Significance:1903-1914
Area of Significance:Architecture
Applicable Criteria:Architecture/Engineering
Historic Use:Commerce/Trade: Department Store
Architectural Style:Late Victorian
Resource Type:Building
DESIGNATIONS
Historic Status:Listed in the National Register
Historic Status:Listed in the State Register
National Register Listing Date:08/08/2014
State Register Listing Date:11/22/2013
NUMBER OF RESOURCES WITHIN PROPERTY
Number of Contributing Buildings:1
Number of Contributing Sites:0
Number of Contributing Structures:0
Number of Contributing Objects:0
Number of Non-Contributing Sites:0
Number of Non-Contributing Structures:0
Number of Non-Contributing Objects:0
RECORD LOCATION
National Register and State Register of Historic Places, Division of Historic Preservation, Wisconsin Historical Society, Madison, Wisconsin

How to Cite

For the purposes of a bibliography entry or footnote, follow this model:

National Register of Historic Places Citation
National Register of Historic Places, "Historic Name", "Town", "County", "State", "Reference Number".

Have Questions?

If you didn't find the National Register listing you were looking for or have other questions about the National Register, please email us and we can help: