Wisconsin Historical Society

National or State Registers Record

111 Third Street, DePere, WI 54115

National or State Register of Historic Places
111 Third Street, DePere, WI 54115 | National or State Registers Record | Wisconsin Historical Society
NAMES
Historic Name:Nicolet High School
Reference Number:15000703
PROPERTY LOCATION
Location (Address):111 Third Street, DePere, WI 54115
County:Brown
City/Village:De Pere
Township:
SUMMARY
Nicolet High School
111 S Third Street, De Pere, Brown County, WI
Date of Construction: 1923
Architects: Foeller, Schober, and Stephenson

The very intact Nicolet High School was built on the west side of the City of De Pere in 1923 as a modern, up-to-date replacement for the west side’s earlier high school building. It is now the west side’s only surviving pre-World War II public school building. The west side’s new $140,000.00, three-story-tall, brick-clad school building was designed in the Neo-Classical Revival style by the prominent Green Bay, Wisconsin architectural firm of Foeller, Schober, and Stephenson. This firm had previously designed a new elementary school for the west side of De Pere in 1901, as well as many other schools located in nearby Green Bay and in other communities located throughout northeast Wisconsin.

Once completed, the school continued to be used for its original purpose until 1958, by which time the needs of De Pere’s rapidly increasing west side student population could no longer be met by its existing building. Consequently, Nicolet High School was sold to the Norbertine Order of the Roman Catholic Church, whose St. Norbert College campus in De Pere was located just one block to the south of the high school. A newer, much larger west side public high school was then built to replace it. The timing of this sale was excellent because by 1958, the private Catholic high school for boys that the Norbertine Fathers had conducted in one of the St. Norbert College‘s buildings for more than thirty years was also in dire need of larger quarters. As a result, the former Nicolet High School was slightly remodeled and then reopened as Abbot Pennings High School in 1959. Abbot Pennings High School continued in operation as a high school until June of 1990, at which time it was merged with other schools in the Green Bay diocese. Subsequently, the former high school building was purchased by St. Norbert College, which renamed it as the Pennings Activity Center and which still uses the building today to house both classrooms and various administrative offices.

PROPERTY FEATURES
Period of Significance:19231923-1958
Area of Significance:Architecture
Area of Significance:Education
Applicable Criteria:Architecture/Engineering
Applicable Criteria:Event
Historic Use:Education: School
Architectural Style:Classical Revival
Resource Type:Building
Architect:Foeller, Schober & Stephenson
DESIGNATIONS
Historic Status:Listed in the State Register
Historic Status:Listed in the National Register
National Register Listing Date:10/05/2015
State Register Listing Date:05/08/2015
NUMBER OF RESOURCES WITHIN PROPERTY
Number of Contributing Buildings:1
Number of Contributing Sites:0
Number of Contributing Structures:0
Number of Contributing Objects:0
Number of Non-Contributing Sites:0
Number of Non-Contributing Structures:0
Number of Non-Contributing Objects:0
RECORD LOCATION
National Register and State Register of Historic Places, Division of Historic Preservation, Wisconsin Historical Society, Madison, Wisconsin

How to Cite

For the purposes of a bibliography entry or footnote, follow this model:

National Register of Historic Places Citation
National Register of Historic Places, "Historic Name", "Town", "County", "State", "Reference Number".

Have Questions?

If you didn't find the National Register listing you were looking for or have other questions about the National Register, please email us and we can help: