Wisconsin Historical Society

National or State Registers Record

615 Phillips Boulevard

National or State Register of Historic Places
615 Phillips Boulevard | National or State Registers Record | Wisconsin Historical Society
NAMES
Historic Name:Spellman Granite Works
Reference Number:15000426
PROPERTY LOCATION
Location (Address):615 Phillips Boulevard
County:Sauk
City/Village:Sauk City
Township:
SUMMARY
Spellman Granite Works
615 Phillips Boulevard
Sauk City, Sauk County, Wisconsin
Date of Construction: 1917

Established in 1917, Spellman Granite Works was the leading industry of its kind in the Village of Sauk City and was well-known within the industry throughout the Midwest. With a showroom, workshop, and offices, the company manufactured and installed cemetery monuments, markers, urns, and statuary between 1917 and 2005.

Begun by William Spellman, with the help of his brother John, the company’s first home was an old wagon shop in downtown Sauk City that the brothers moved to the Phillips Boulevard location using rollers and a team of horses. By 1920, younger brother Harry had joined as a partner in the firm and the brothers expanded their facility by constructing a large workshop addition to the rear of the building, doubling the property’s floor space. This new construction also included running a side track of the adjacent Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul Railroad through the new workshop to increase the efficiency of granite deliveries. By the 1930s, Spellman Granite Works was hailed as one of the chief industries of the village containing one of the largest and most beautiful showrooms in the state, with an average stock of over one hundred finished monuments and markers, a large collection of rough material, and a workshop filled with modern electric machinery. From its outset, the company also supported the local community through its donations of cornerstones and monuments for a variety of public projects throughout the Sauk Prairie area. Spellman Granite Works was a mainstay of Sauk City’s industrial landscape throughout the early twentieth century and is the most visible and most intact representative of the village’s industrial heritage.

This property is private. Please respect the rights and privacy of the owners.

PROPERTY FEATURES
Period of Significance:1917-1965
Area of Significance:Industry
Applicable Criteria:Event
Historic Use:Industry/Processing/Extraction: Manufacturing Facility
Architectural Style:Late 19th And Early 20th Century American Movements
Resource Type:Building
DESIGNATIONS
Historic Status:Listed in the State Register
Historic Status:Listed in the National Register
National Register Listing Date:07/14/2015
State Register Listing Date:05/08/2015
NUMBER OF RESOURCES WITHIN PROPERTY
Number of Contributing Buildings:1
Number of Contributing Sites:0
Number of Contributing Structures:0
Number of Contributing Objects:0
Number of Non-Contributing Sites:0
Number of Non-Contributing Structures:0
Number of Non-Contributing Objects:0
RECORD LOCATION
National Register and State Register of Historic Places, Division of Historic Preservation, Wisconsin Historical Society, Madison, Wisconsin

How to Cite

For the purposes of a bibliography entry or footnote, follow this model:

National Register of Historic Places Citation
National Register of Historic Places, "Historic Name", "Town", "County", "State", "Reference Number".

Have Questions?

If you didn't find the National Register listing you were looking for or have other questions about the National Register, please email us and we can help: