Wisconsin Historical Society

National or State Registers Record

Generally bounded by the 200, 300 and 400 blocks of E Walworth Avenue

National or State Register of Historic Places
Generally bounded by the 200, 300 and 400 blocks of E Walworth Avenue | National or State Registers Record | Wisconsin Historical Society
NAMES
Historic Name:Delavan Downtown Commercial Historic District
Reference Number:16000067
PROPERTY LOCATION
Location (Address):Generally bounded by the 200, 300 and 400 blocks of E Walworth Avenue
County:Walworth
City/Village:Delavan
Township:
SUMMARY
Delavan Downtown Commercial Historic District
East Walworth Avenue, generally bounded by the 200, 300 and 400 Blocks, Delavan, Walworth County
Dates of construction of contributing buildings: 1871-1961

This historic district is located along a broad avenue of vitrified brick, an attraction in and of itself, and encompasses the area that is the long-standing heart of commercial activity in Delavan. The history of architectural style and fashion, beginning in 1871 and continuing well into the mid-20th century, is reflected in these downtown buildings and include examples of the Italianate, Neoclassical, 20th Century Commercial, Commercial Vernacular, Mediterranean Revival and Contemporary styles. This variety exemplifies how the commercial street continuously developed and evolved and how architectural fashion was used to attract each new generation of shopper to the district.

That this was the heart of the community is evident in the variety of services and amenities that were located here: a post office, and library, a car dealership, banks, grocers, hardware stores, specialty shops, and department stores. The Delavan Theater, social clubs and taverns provided community gathering spaces for entertainment and relaxation. This remains a thriving commercial district which continues to offer the same types of stores and amenities, a testament to its importance in the community as a center of civic and commercial life.

PROPERTY FEATURES
Period of Significance:1871-1962
Area of Significance:Commerce
Area of Significance:Architecture
Applicable Criteria:Event
Applicable Criteria:Architecture/Engineering
Historic Use:Commerce/Trade: Business
Historic Use:Commerce/Trade: Financial Institution
Historic Use:Commerce/Trade: Department Store
Historic Use:Government: Post Office
Historic Use:Education: Library
Historic Use:Transportation: Road-Related
Architectural Style:Italianate
Architectural Style:Late Victorian
Architectural Style:Late 19th And Early 20th Century American Movements
Architectural Style:Commercial Style
Architectural Style:Classical Revival
Architectural Style:Mission/Spanish Revival
Architectural Style:Modern Movement
Resource Type:District
Architect:Claude & Starck
Architect:Oscar Wendroth
Architect:John Wolf
DESIGNATIONS
Historic Status:Listed in the State Register
Historic Status:Listed in the National Register
National Register Listing Date:03/08/2016
State Register Listing Date:08/28/2015
NUMBER OF RESOURCES WITHIN PROPERTY
Number of Contributing Buildings:26
Number of Contributing Sites:0
Number of Contributing Structures:0
Number of Contributing Objects:0
Number of Non-Contributing Sites:0
Number of Non-Contributing Structures:0
Number of Non-Contributing Objects:0
RECORD LOCATION
National Register and State Register of Historic Places, Division of Historic Preservation, Wisconsin Historical Society, Madison, Wisconsin

How to Cite

For the purposes of a bibliography entry or footnote, follow this model:

National Register of Historic Places Citation
National Register of Historic Places, "Historic Name", "Town", "County", "State", "Reference Number".

Have Questions?

If you didn't find the National Register listing you were looking for or have other questions about the National Register, please email us and we can help: