Wisconsin Historical Society

National or State Registers Record

405 Washington Ave

National or State Register of Historic Places
405 Washington Ave | National or State Registers Record | Wisconsin Historical Society
NAMES
Historic Name:Fraternal Order of Eagles
Reference Number:100002140
PROPERTY LOCATION
Location (Address):405 Washington Ave
County:Winnebago
City/Village:Oshkosh
Township:
SUMMARY
Fraternal Order of Eagles
405 Washington Avenue, Oshkosh, Winnebago County
Architect: Henry Auler
Builder: Alfred R. Ganther
Date of Construction: 1924

The Fraternal Order of Eagles building in the city of Oshkosh is as an excellent example of Tudor Revival style architecture and was designed by prominent Wisconsin architect Henry Auler (1884-1951). The building retains the characteristics of the Tudor Revival style; the brick and limestone accented building is symmetrically composed with two story limestone clad bay windows dominating the front projecting wings and divided light casement windows are surrounded by corsetted frames.

The main purpose of the Eagles is "the helping of the fellow who is up against it." This quotation is taken directly from the Saturday Evening Edition of the Oshkosh Daily Northwestern (2/11/28) and clearly shows the intention of the organization to help the citizens of the community. The four basic principles that the Eagles stand for are Liberty, Truth, Justice and Equality.

The building served as the home of the Fraternal Order of Eagles in Oshkosh and was considered a showcase for the local organization. Many events for the group as well as for community organizations, statewide conventions of organizations, unions, and political parties were booked for the distinctive hall. Local banquets and balls and school and athletic events were held there, and during the big band era well know bands played the Eagles Club. Boxing and wrestling matches were popular events and the location of the old ring posts might still be seen on the hardwood floor in the main ballroom. In addition, many bowling teams used the 10 alleys in the basement. The craftsmanship and relative good condition of this building and the fact that most of the original windows, fixtures, finishes and floor plan remain intact, justifies the Fraternal Order of Eagle building for inclusion on the National Register of Historic Places.

This property is private. Please respect the rights and privacy of the owners.

PROPERTY FEATURES
Period of Significance:19271927-1968
Area of Significance:Architecture
Area of Significance:Social History
Applicable Criteria:Architecture/Engineering
Applicable Criteria:Event
Historic Use:Social: Meeting Hall
Architectural Style:Tudor Revival
Resource Type:Building
Architect:Henry Auler
Architect:Alfred R. Ganther, builder
DESIGNATIONS
Historic Status:Listed in the State Register
Historic Status:Listed in the National Register
National Register Listing Date:02/21/2018
State Register Listing Date:12/01/2017
NUMBER OF RESOURCES WITHIN PROPERTY
Number of Contributing Buildings:1
Number of Contributing Sites:0
Number of Contributing Structures:0
Number of Contributing Objects:0
Number of Non-Contributing Sites:0
Number of Non-Contributing Structures:0
Number of Non-Contributing Objects:0
RECORD LOCATION
National Register and State Register of Historic Places, Division of Historic Preservation, Wisconsin Historical Society, Madison, Wisconsin

How to Cite

For the purposes of a bibliography entry or footnote, follow this model:

National Register of Historic Places Citation
National Register of Historic Places, "Historic Name", "Town", "County", "State", "Reference Number".

Have Questions?

If you didn't find the National Register listing you were looking for or have other questions about the National Register, please email us and we can help: