COVID-19 Updates: For the most up-to-date information on accessing our services learn more here.

1715 N 37th St | National or State Registers Record | Wisconsin Historical Society

National or State Registers Record

1715 N 37th St

National or State Register of Historic Places
1715 N 37th St | National or State Registers Record | Wisconsin Historical Society
NAMES
Historic Name:37th Street School
Reference Number:100005225
PROPERTY LOCATION
Location (Address):1715 N 37th St
County:Milwaukee
City/Village:Milwaukee
Township:
SUMMARY
37th Street School
1715 N. 37th Street, Milwaukee, Milwaukee County
Architect: George Birnbach (1903 school); D.C. Otteson (1911 wings)
Date of Construction: 1903 with additions in 1911

The 37th Street School (originally named the Nineteenth District School No. 2) at 1715 N. 37th Street in Milwaukee was completed in 1903 and designed in the Neo-Classical style by Wisconsin architect George Birnbach. Two rear wing additions that seamlessly blend with the school were constructed in 1911 to provide additional classrooms. The 37th Street School was erected to serve Milwaukee’s newly-annexed residential neighborhood located east of Washington Park in the northwest region of the city. The building is three-stories above a raised basement and is constructed of cream city brick which has since been painted. The school has brick ornament and its original cupola. The historic interior layout is preserved and historic finishes such as wood flooring, plaster walls, and wood built-in cabinetry are retained throughout the school.

The 37th Street School is an excellent, well-preserved example in Milwaukee of a modern graded school. When completed in 1903, the school featured modern amenities that were important to enhancing the learning environment, such as central heating, indoor plumbing, and electricity.

In addition to facilitating public education, the 37th Street School served as a neighborhood social center from the late 1910s through the 1960s. In this role, the building provided classes and recreation for residents of the Washington Park neighborhood. The Social Center program, managed by the Division of Municipal Recreation and Adult Education of the Milwaukee Public Schools, was a historically-significant part of the city’s twentieth-century history. The program reflected Progressive efforts to offer educational and social outlets and build community in urban areas throughout the country. The 37th Street School remained open for 102 years until 2005, when it was closed as part of the Neighborhood Schools Initiative.

PROPERTY FEATURES
Period of Significance:1916-1957
Period of Significance:1903-1911
Area of Significance:Social History
Area of Significance:Architecture
Applicable Criteria:Event
Applicable Criteria:Architecture/Engineering
Historic Use:Education: School
Architectural Style:Classical Revival
Resource Type:Building
Architect:George Birnbach
Architect:D.C. Otteson
DESIGNATIONS
Historic Status:Listed in the State Register
Historic Status:Listed in the National Register
National Register Listing Date:05/28/2020
State Register Listing Date:02/14/2020
NUMBER OF RESOURCES WITHIN PROPERTY
Number of Contributing Buildings:1
Number of Contributing Sites:0
Number of Contributing Structures:0
Number of Contributing Objects:0
Number of Non-Contributing Sites:0
Number of Non-Contributing Structures:0
Number of Non-Contributing Objects:0
RECORD LOCATION
National Register and State Register of Historic Places, State Historic Preservation Office, Wisconsin Historical Society, Madison, Wisconsin

How to Cite

For the purposes of a bibliography entry or footnote, follow this model:

National Register of Historic Places Citation
National Register of Historic Places, "Historic Name", "Town", "County", "State", "Reference Number".

Have Questions?

If you didn't find the National Register listing you were looking for or have other questions about the National Register, please email us and we can help: