COVID-19 Updates: In order to help reduce the increased spread of COVID-19, options for accessing our headquarters building have changed. Click here for more information.

622-628 58th St | National or State Registers Record | Wisconsin Historical Society

National or State Registers Record

622-628 58th St

National or State Register of Historic Places
622-628 58th St | National or State Registers Record | Wisconsin Historical Society
NAMES
Historic Name:Barden Store
Reference Number:100005752
PROPERTY LOCATION
Location (Address):622-628 58th St
County:Kenosha
City/Village:Kenosha
Township:
SUMMARY
Barden Store
622-628 58th Street, Kenosha, Kenosha County
Date of Construction: 1907
Architect: Charles O. Augustine

The Barden Store is located at 622-628 58th Street in Kenosha, on the western edge of Lake Michigan in Kenosha County, the southeastern-most county in the state of Wisconsin. The Barden Store is one of many two- to four- story commercial buildings that characterize Kenosha’s historic central business district. The Commercial Vernacular form of the building is the most common in the surrounding built environment, expressed through masonry facades with modest brick articulation and details. The Barden Store is a two-story masonry building with full glass and aluminum storefront and a projecting canopy.

The building was home to the Barden Store, Kenosha’s premier locally-owned department store for more than a century. The Barden Store Company purpose-built the current building in 1907, expanded it in 1910, and remained there until 1985. The building retains most of its original features, including the historic wood windows, including unique large pivot-style second floor display windows. Despite subsequent fires and expansions, the building experienced very few exterior changes until a c. 1955 storefront remodel was executed, resulting in the addition of a substantial projecting canopy, corrugated metal paneling in place of the original transoms and replacement of storefront window (storefront evolution is typical in the context of department store history).

The history of the Barden Store is defined by two long-standing owner-managers. The first, Hugh E. Barden, was one of the founders of the store and remained its manager until his death in 1927. The second long-standing manager of note was Henry C. Hyslop, who owned and operated the store from 1934 until his death in 1967. Barden is notable for his role in founding and growing the company from a small dry goods retailer to the foremost department store in Kenosha. His tenure includes the construction of a significant addition and expansion of the store to fill the entire building. He possessed a vision for the future of Kenosha as an upscale, regional center and offered goods and services unmatched by other large stores in the city during the same time period. Barden grew his namesake store from modest beginnings into a premier Kenosha business, while Hyslop helped it remain that way through a fast-changing century. Hyslop shepherded the Barden Store through the recovery from the Great Depression, the shifts brought by World War II, a devastating fire, infiltration of chain stores downtown, movement of retail centers to suburban areas, and ever-changing consumer demands of the twentieth century. Hyslop helped locally-owned Barden’s thrive at its downtown location long after similar establishments, including several chain department stores, were shuttered or relocated to new developments on the outskirts of the city. As chain department stores, discount stores, and suburban growth shifted consumer habits, Hyslop managed to retain the classic department store at Barden’s while also adjusting to changing times.

PROPERTY FEATURES
Period of Significance:1907-1967
Area of Significance:Commerce
Applicable Criteria:Event
Historic Use:Commerce/Trade: Department Store
Architectural Style:Late 19th And Early 20th Century American Movements
Resource Type:Building
Architect:Charles O. Augustine
DESIGNATIONS
Historic Status:Listed in the State Register
Historic Status:Listed in the National Register
National Register Listing Date:11/12/2020
State Register Listing Date:08/14/2020
NUMBER OF RESOURCES WITHIN PROPERTY
Number of Contributing Buildings:1
Number of Contributing Sites:0
Number of Contributing Structures:0
Number of Contributing Objects:0
Number of Non-Contributing Sites:0
Number of Non-Contributing Structures:0
Number of Non-Contributing Objects:0
RECORD LOCATION
National Register and State Register of Historic Places, Division of Historic Preservation, Wisconsin Historical Society, Madison, Wisconsin

How to Cite

For the purposes of a bibliography entry or footnote, follow this model:

National Register of Historic Places Citation
National Register of Historic Places, "Historic Name", "Town", "County", "State", "Reference Number".

Have Questions?

If you didn't find the National Register listing you were looking for or have other questions about the National Register, please email us and we can help: