Maintenance Outages: our website is experiencing some issues with pages loading as we undergo maintenance, please check back soon

5607 County Highway C | National or State Registers Record | Wisconsin Historical Society

National or State Registers Record

5607 County Highway C

National or State Register of Historic Places
5607 County Highway C | National or State Registers Record | Wisconsin Historical Society
Historic Name:Spring Green Restaurant
Reference Number:100009939
Location (Address):5607 County Highway C
Spring Green Restaurant
5607 County Highway C, Town of Wyoming, Iowa County
Architect: Frank Lloyd Wright/ Taliesin Associated Architects (William Wesley Peters)
Construction Date: 1957-1959, 1967-1970

In 1953, Frank Lloyd Wright purchased a parcel of land overlooking the Wisconsin River that was located within a mile of his celebrated home, Taliesin. On it he intended to build a restaurant building that would be designed by him, would be owned by the Frank Lloyd Wright Foundation, and would be operated by the Taliesin Fellowship, who would serve visitors to the area and to Wright’s home and school at Taliesin. Wright’s first concept for the building, which he called “Riverview Terrace,” was designed by him in 1953 and at first it was intended to be an informal, seasonal restaurant. By 1954, though, Wright’s first restaurant concept had evolved into one that would be open year-round. It was this second concept, which Wright continued to refine until construction finally began under his direction in 1957, that forms the core of the present-day building.

The long, low, Spring Green Restaurant building that Wright planned to build had walls that were clad either in smooth stucco or in rock-faced coursed limestone, materials that were consciously chosen to be in harmony with the same materials that Wright had previously used on nearby Taliesin. Work on the new building continued sporadically until Wright’s death in 1959, after which it remained in an uncompleted state until 1966, when it was purchased by a new owner, the Wisconsin River Land Development Corp. The new owner’s plans included turning Wright’s unfinished restaurant building into an upscale four-season restaurant. To do so required some major changes to Wright’s design and these changes were implemented by Taliesin Associated Architects (TAA), which had been created after Wright’s death by his former associates and which was then led by William Wesley Peters, who was the chief architect for the revised building. The building was opened to the public in 1967 as The Spring Green Restaurant, it was finally completed in 1970, and it continued to serve its original function until 1993, when it was purchased by Taliesin Preservation Commission, Inc. and was repurposed to serve as the visitor center for Taliesin. Despite this change in usage, the building is still highly intact today and it is still in excellent, highly original condition.

Period of Significance:1967-1970
Area of Significance:Architecture
Applicable Criteria:Architecture/Engineering
Historic Use:Commerce/Trade: Restaurant
Architectural Style:Other
Resource Type:Building
Architect:Wright, Frank Lloyd
Architect:Peters, William Wesley
Historic Status:Listed in the State Register
Historic Status:Listed in the National Register
National Register Listing Date:02/08/2024
State Register Listing Date:11/17/2023
Number of Contributing Buildings:1
Number of Contributing Sites:0
Number of Contributing Structures:0
Number of Contributing Objects:0
Number of Non-Contributing Sites:0
Number of Non-Contributing Structures:0
Number of Non-Contributing Objects:0
National Register and State Register of Historic Places, State Historic Preservation Office, Wisconsin Historical Society, Madison, Wisconsin

How to Cite

For the purposes of a bibliography entry or footnote, follow this model:

National Register of Historic Places Citation
National Register of Historic Places, "Historic Name", "Town", "County", "State", "Reference Number".

Have Questions?

If you didn't find the National Register listing you were looking for or have other questions about the National Register, please email us and we can help: