Wisconsin Historical Society

National or State Registers Record

University of Wisconsin-Whitewater Campus

National or State Register of Historic Places
University of Wisconsin-Whitewater Campus | National or State Registers Record | Wisconsin Historical Society
NAMES
Historic Name:Halverson Log Cabin
Reference Number:85000070
PROPERTY LOCATION
Location (Address):University of Wisconsin-Whitewater Campus
County:Walworth
City/Village:Whitewater
Township:
SUMMARY
Halverson Log Cabin
University of Wisconsin Campus, Whitewater, Walworth County
Architect: Gullik Halverson
Date of Construction: 1846

In 1845, Norwegian immigrants Gullik Halverson and his wife, Dorothea, settled about six miles south of Whitewater in the town of Richmond. Within a year, they built a small, one-room cabin in which they raised their five children. It was approximately 16-feet wide x 20-feet long, with a small, lofted sleeping area and a large stone fireplace. The walls were hand-hewn timbers, about 9- to 10-inches square, chinked with mortar and set upon a shallow sandstone foundation.

In 1861, the Halverson family moved into Whitewater, abandoning the cabin. By the early 20th century, local historians recognized the Halverson cabin as an excellent example of an early pioneer home.

In 1907, the Whitewater Normal School (now the University of Wisconsin-Whitewater) acquired the cabin and moved it to a wooded knoll on its campus. Whitewater Normal School, under school president Albert Salisbury, was a premier education facility for teachers and had a reputation during this time as a progressive-minded school. Acquiring and relocating the cabin was an early attempt by the school at historic preservation. Careful attention was paid to authentically replicate the building's original construction details and design as it was turned into a "Museum of Pioneer Life."

For many years, the cabin served as a learning center, as well as a place for social events and faculty gatherings, until it closed in the 1960s. The Halverson Log Cabin remains on the UW-Whitewater campus today.

PROPERTY FEATURES
Period of Significance:1900-19241925-1949
Area of Significance:Education
Applicable Criteria:Event
Historic Use:Domestic: Single Dwelling
Architectural Style:No Style Listed
Resource Type:Building
Architect:Halverson,Gullik
DESIGNATIONS
Historic Status:Listed in the National Register
Historic Status:Listed in the State Register
National Register Listing Date:01/08/1985
State Register Listing Date:01/01/1989
NUMBER OF RESOURCES WITHIN PROPERTY
Number of Contributing Buildings:1
Number of Contributing Sites:0
Number of Contributing Structures:0
Number of Contributing Objects:0
Number of Non-Contributing Sites:0
Number of Non-Contributing Structures:0
Number of Non-Contributing Objects:0
RECORD LOCATION
National Register and State Register of Historic Places, Division of Historic Preservation, Wisconsin Historical Society, Madison, Wisconsin

How to Cite

For the purposes of a bibliography entry or footnote, follow this model:

National Register of Historic Places Citation
National Register of Historic Places, "Historic Name", "Town", "County", "State", "Reference Number".

Have Questions?

If you didn't find the National Register listing you were looking for or have other questions about the National Register, please email us and we can help: