Wisconsin Historical Society

Property Record

429 N 7TH ST

Architecture and History Inventory
429 N 7TH ST | Property Record | Wisconsin Historical Society
NAMES
Historic Name:HIXON, GIDEON C., HOUSE
Other Name:HIXON HOUSE MUSEUM
Contributing:
Reference Number:16233
PROPERTY LOCATION
Location (Address):429 N 7TH ST
County:La Crosse
City:La Crosse
Township/Village:
Unincorporated Community:
Town:
Range:
Direction:
Section:
Quarter Section:
Quarter/Quarter Section:
PROPERTY FEATURES
Year Built:1859
Additions:C. 1870 1883 1881 1900C. 2006
Survey Date:1996
Historic Use:house
Architectural Style:Italianate
Structural System:Balloon Frame
Wall Material:Clapboard
Architect:C.F. STRUCK GEORGE L. HARVEY
Other Buildings On Site:
Demolished?:No
Demolished Date:
DESIGNATIONS
National/State Register Listing Name: Hixon, Gideon C., House
National Register Listing Date:12/30/1974 12:00:00 AM
State Register Listing Date:1/1/1989 12:00:00 AM
National Register Multiple Property Name:
NOTES
Additional Information:A 'site file' exists for this property. It contains additional information such as correspondence, newspaper clippings, or historical information. It is a public record and may be viewed in person at the State Historical Society, Division of Historic Preservation.

Heavy brackets and dentil trim under broad eaves; two story gable roofed wings (added) on north and south sides; one bay entrance porch with capped carved square posts, arched porch openings and brackets under the eaves; side porch in south angle of house of similar design; plain windows with projecting cornices; gambrel and jerkin head gable roofed carriage house at the rear; iron fence surrounds property; well crafted woodwork of many varieties and an 1890s Turkish corner is found in the 15 room house containing the original furnishings of the Hixon family.

The Hixon House's exterior and interior has been maintained as it was in the 1880s by the La Crosse County Historical Society. The Hixon House is an unusually good example of early La Crosse simplified Italianate influenced by residential architecture because of the excellent preservation of both the exterior and interior features and furnishings.

G.C. Hixon was important in the local, and regional, lumber business. In 1870, he partnered with NH Withee to create one of the early logging and lumber firms. As time passed, Hixon and his son Frank obtained rights to other businesses - most distant from La Crosse. GC Hixon and his wife Sarah Crosby Hixon, the half sister of WW Crosby, came to La Crosse in 1856, but his young wife soon died. Gideon married Ellen Pennell in 1861 and they had five sons. After her death in 1913, her niece Mary Crosby lived in the house until 1936 and added the painted walls of the dining room. From 1945 until 1948 the house was used as a girls' rooming house.

Addition of two stories at a cost of $3000.00 in 1870; a two-story wing on the south side was added in 1881, the interior was rennovated in 1881, the west and rear wing were enlarged and increased to two stories in 1883.

COVENANT: Has expired.

Effected:
9/9/1977

Good until:
9/9/1997
Term:

Property:
Gideon C. Hixon House

Property address:
429 N. Seventh Street, La Crosse

C dist:

Owner:

Owner Organization:
La Crosse County Historical Society

Owner address:
Box 404, La Crosse

Covenant type:
Restrictive covenant

County:
LC

Record:

Program:

Covenant provision 1:
Maintain and administer

Covenant provision 2:
Provide public access at least twelve days a year

Covenant provision 3:

1996- "Historically known as the Gideon C. Hixon House, this 1859 structure was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1974."
- "La Crosse North/South Transportation Corridor", WisDOT ID #5991-04-00, Prepared by Heritage Research, Ltd. (1996).
Bibliographic References:LACROSSE TRIBUNE 6/12/1994. Janesville Gazette 10/17/2001. Building Plaque. "The Hixon House and La Crosse County Historical Museum," brochure. LACROSSE TRIBUNE 7/2/1995. LACROSSE TRIBUNE 11/26/1995. La Crosse Morning Leader, 13 December 1870. La Crosse Republican Leader, 15 August 1881, 10 July 1883. La Crosse Chronicle, 8 September 1881. LaCrosse Tribune 11/7/1998. Crocker, Leslie. La Crosse Buildings through Time. La Crosse: La Crosse Public Library Archives Department, 2015. La Crosse Leader, 11 December 1869, p. 4. La Crosse Daily News, 28 July 1881, 29 Aug 1881, 7 Sept 1881, 8 Sept 1881. La Crosse Morning Chronicle, 11 Aug 1881, 6 Sept 1881. La Crosse Republican-Leader, 20 August 1881, 10 July 1883.
RECORD LOCATION
Wisconsin Architecture and History Inventory, Division of Historic Preservation, Wisconsin Historical Society, Madison, Wisconsin

Have Questions?

If you didn't find the record you were looking for, or have other questions about historic preservation, please email us and we can help:

If you have an update, correction, or addition to a record, please include this in your message:

  • AHI number
  • Information to be added or changed
  • Source information

Note: When providing a historical fact, such as the story of a historic event or the name of an architect, be sure to list your sources. We will only create or update a property record if we can verify a submission is factual and accurate.

How to Cite

For the purposes of a bibliography entry or footnote, follow this model:

Wisconsin Architecture and History Inventory Citation
Wisconsin Historical Society, Wisconsin Architecture and History Inventory, "Historic Name", "Town", "County", "State", "Reference Number".